Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price chop virus

Help!

I seem to have a "pricecchhop" extension added to Google Chrome - which results in adds popping up all over the place!
    I have removed the "pricechop" program via Control Panel - done a full virus scan with Windows Defender (W8 machine) and a a number of full scans with malawarebytes.
    Malawarebytes picked up something to do with pricechop first time round and deleted it.
    I've also removed the extensions from Google Chrome.
    However, every time I reboot and open Google Chrome the extensions reappear.

I've downloaded Avast (free) this morning and done a full scan with that, and it picked up 3 problems - now quarantined. However, the pricechop extensions are still appearing in Chrome.
    Avast is detecting them - and blocking them - so I am no longer getting the annoying "ads" popping up, but it doesn't seem to remove them.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
    Thanks.
    Elaine

know you will already have googled and goolged, but in case you didn't find this one!

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline - I was actually following that yesterday and did everything on the page apart from downloading AdwCleaner as I presumed Malawarebytes, which I already had installed, would do the trick ... which it didn't.
      Just downloaded AdwCleaner and ... fingers crossed ... it seems to have sorted the problem.

Wish I knew where these things came from - and why it wasn't blocked in the first place. :(
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine. I have been fortunate not to have come across pricechop but my impression is that it mainly affects Google Chrome and possibly one of the reasons it is so hard to remove is if you sign in to Google (via gmail perhaps) while using Chrome. The rest here is speculative.

The advantage of signing in is, to quote Google

"Sign in to Google Chrome with your Google Account to save your personalized browser features to the web and access them from Google Chrome on any computer. You'll also be automatically signed in to your favorite Google services."

I suspect this means that any browser add-ons are saved on the web and then re-instated the next time you sign in to Google and open Chrome. In theory it should not happen because if you remove an extension then it should be removed from the online backup but I have read that pricechop disables the Google Chrome automatic update which makes it hard to remove. There are removal tools and I hope that you have found an effective one.

David

Comment

Thanks David. AdwCleaner seems to have done the trick. I have rebooted several times and the price chop extension seems to have disappeared from Chrome.
          Elaine

Comment

If the effects reappear but the item isn't in your programme list, you'll just have to do it the hard way I'm afraid. Go your My Computer or whatever your version of Windows calls it. Open up a file search making sure you choose all sections of your hard drive (if you have more than :C that is). Type in *pricechop*.* click on search unless it does it automatically and see what it finds. Then right click on each file and delete it. Sometimes the files will play silly b***ers and say you can't delete them. Don't worry. Leave those ones and try others in the list. By the time you've got rid of the rest, the awkward ones will then delete properly. Empty your recycle bin. If there was a folder in your program files named PriceChop it should now be empty. Delete this too and empty the bin again. Reboot. Use CrapCleaner - now called CCleaner. If you don't have this great wee utility it can be safely downloaded from filehippo.com. Just make sure you choose the free version. Click "Analyse" and when it has done that click "Run Cleaner". Then click on "Registry" from the menu on the left and do a cleanup there. Scan button first then Fix Issues. Close the programme and reboot.

Hopefully that is job done and dusted. A pain in bottom but worth the effort. Just be grateful that you are not trying to get rid of the files left behind by Norton. I used the correct uninstaller for it a few weeks ago when we changed over to Kasperkys. It took me hours to get rid of all the bits hiding everywhere!!
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-08-14, 17:47.

Comment

Working...
            X