Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest winner needs help!!

Hey everybody;
    I am a singer songwriter and I just won a fairly prestigious prize (big breath); the A.S.C.A.P. Jay Gorney Memorial Social Songwriting Competition.
    I got a nice stipend, and they are gonna fly me to the Big Apple on their dime to accept the award.

The song that won was "R... J.......", a true story about a homeless woman that I met when I was teaching whitewater canoeing in Washington D.C. .
    I would go to the museums on the D.C. Mall and she would be there panhandling. I would have lunch with her every day for a week or so; this went on for about 4-6 years; every summer when I would visit. She was wonderful, and like the song says, would never ask me for any money; food fed her body, but our conversations fed her soul, I believe.
    I would like to contact her if she is still alive and kicking, or to know if she has passed (she was born in 1925), and was hoping to get some help/hints concerning how to look her up?
    R... was born in the Midwest and came to D.C. during World War 2 to be a secretary at the Defense Department, if I remember correctly. By the end of our journey together, she might have gotten an apartment in Arlington VA.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated;
    Thanks;
    Ric Taylor
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-08-14, 09:38. Reason: name removed - possible living person

Richard,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your award.

Our Ts & Cs do not allow the names of living people to be posted on the forum, therefore I have edited your post.

If any of our members feel they can help then they will contact you via PM (personal message) - you can then pass on the full details to them via the messaging system. Good luck in your search.
    Elaine

Comment

If she was there every day that you were there, she'd probably have been there lots of other times too and be well-known to the museum staff. Why not start by asking there?

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hey, Elaine;
        All apologies.. I am fairly sure that she has passed, but you are right I do not know for sure, and hope springs eternal!!

Comment

Working...
        X