south Metropolitan district school Sutton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• south Metropolitan district school Sutton

I see the records are available from The National Archives but does anybody know would they show what the pupil was being trained in ?

Hi Val, I to have found a couple of family members in the same institution. Look the 'school' up on Google, you can find lots of info on what they did and what the site later became. Essentially it says that girls were taught domestic duties and boys learned a trade. The original records for the South Metropolitan District Schools are held at the London Metropolitan Archives. The school was first built in 1852 to educate poor children from Greenwich, Camberwell, Woolwich and St. Olave (Southwark). It closed as a school in 1902 but was used variously as a workhouse, hospital for German pows, a training centre for the unemployed, a WW2 emergency hospital, a psychiatric hospital and finally Sutton General Hospital. You should also try the 'Archives in London and the M25 Area' website and Peter Higginbotham's Workhouse website. Have you found your ancestor in the school in any of the census's? I have one in the 1871 and another in the 1901 census. The boy in the 1871 census became a house builder and my gran's half sister left in 1902 and eventually sailed for Australia in 1914 and married a German immigrant in 1915! I now have 22 half second cousins in Australia. Victor

Comment

Hello again Victor ,:o I had a relative in the 1871 Census and cannot track him after that so was hoping they would give me an occupation for him.

Comment

Val -
        Have you looked at Familysearch's catalog? They have various Sutton schools in England, so I'm not sure if any of them are yours:

Did you have any luck with the film you ordered previously?
        sarah

Comment

hi Sarah no the Familysearch people still have not given me a date to view it seems strange?

Comment

Did you see the Sutton records that you need in the link I posted in #4?

Comment

yes but I dont really understand Familysearch looks like I have to order the film ?

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Nutt View Post
                Hi Val, I to have found a couple of family members in the same institution. Look the 'school' up on Google, you can find lots of info on what they did and what the site later became. Essentially it says that girls were taught domestic duties and boys learned a trade. The original records for the South Metropolitan District Schools are held at the London Metropolitan Archives. The school was first built in 1852 to educate poor children from Greenwich, Camberwell, Woolwich and St. Olave (Southwark). It closed as a school in 1902 but was used variously as a workhouse, hospital for German pows, a training centre for the unemployed, a WW2 emergency hospital, a psychiatric hospital and finally Sutton General Hospital.

This was Belmont Hospital not Sutton General Hospital. I worked in it in the 1970's.

Sutton General Hospital.
                Last edited by Old Holborn; 31-08-14, 12:13.
                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

I was trying to be concise and appreciate that different parts of the school were used for different purposes but this is what the Sutton Borough website says:

...... "The school was closed in 1902. After a brief period as a hospital and asylum the it became Belmont Workhouse in 1908. In 1915 it became a hospital for German prisoners of war and a house of internment for enemy aliens. It returned to being a workhouse for unemployed men in 1922. Conditions in it were very poor - in 1929 it was said to be filthy and rat infested. It was renamed an London Industrial Colony - but this was more spin than substance. In 1930 the London County Council took it over and turned it into a training centre for the unemployed. It became the Sutton emergency hospital in the Second World War. It was feared that there would be mass hysteria at the outbreak of hostilities so Belmont became a neurosis unit. This did not happen so the hospital was used for treating physical injuries. In 1946 the whole establishment was turned over to psychiatric medicine and became known as Belmont Hospital. This was demolished in the 1980s. The girls buildings became Sutton General Hospital."
                  "The original records of the South Metropolitan District Schools are held by the London Metropolitan Archives"
                  Victor

Comment

I to have a relative at Sutton metropolitan district school and I need to track down the minutes of the governors meeting to see if there are any clues to my ancestors parents.

Comment

Working...
                    X