ireland Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ireland Research

I am trying to find details of Robert Vannan born approx. 1798 in Ireland but I don't know which part of Ireland I would like to find his Parents Grandparents and any siblings. Robert moved away from Ireland and married Isabella Higgins in Scotland He died in Scotland in 1863 age 63 I have all the information of the Vannan families related to him in Scotland but I am looking to focus on Ireland and the period 1798 and before. Thank You Pam

Irish research can be quite difficult as many parish records are retained by the churches and not put online.
    When is your first sighting of him in Scotland and was he Roman Catholic or Protestant?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Vannan is not a common name in Ireland. There was only 1 household of that surname in Ireland in the 1901 census (in Belfast) and the husband, a Presbyterian, was born in Scotland.

None in Griffiths Valuation (1848 – 1864).

There’s about 15 Vannan births, deaths & marriages in the statutory records. About 4 were in Dublin and the rest in and around Belfast.

If Robert Vannan died in Scotland in 1863, you should be able to get his parents names from his death certificate.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I too have a man born in Ireland c1799 and have his parents names (including mothers maiden name) from his Scottish death certificate but have had no luck in finding anything. You're lucky in that your family name is unusual so at least you've got a chance.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

This si such an unusual surname with no apparent known origins, that I wonder if it is a corruption of something else - say Kilfannon, for silly example.

I also immediately thought of the Isle of Man, where VannIn is/was a common surname. (And Vannin is a Manx word).

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 26-08-14, 11:05.

Comment

Hi Thanks for all your replies As yet I have not seen anything to suggest he was Roman Catholic from certificates I have. Also there is no names of Parents given on his Death Certificate. It does however say on the death Certificate Pauper/Labourer Married in the first box of Robert Vannan occupation/marital status. His wife was approx. 25 years younger than Robert so don't know if this was second marriage. He died in Glasgow I have found him in census in Scotland but nothing else Thanks again

Comment

If he was a pauper, it might be worth checking to see if he ever claimed under the Poor Law. If he did, the case papers often contain details of dependents and next of kin plus the applicant’s parish of origin. Poor Law records for the Glasgow area are kept in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thanks Elwyn will check that out

Comment

Working...
                X