Need help to find what happened to edith barker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to find what happened to edith barker

Hi. I am new to the Forum so hope you can help me.

I am trying to find further information on my Father's mother, she had my dad out of wedlock on the 17/6/1916 in ecclsall Bierlow, Sheffield. I have his birth certificate and he was named Frank Brownlow Barker, Brownlow being my grandfather ( I have all his family ancestry) but Edith eludes me. The certificate stated her as Edith Irene Barker, domestic servant, residing 194 Gleadless Road, Sheffield, the address where dad was born, father's name and occupation not recorded.
    I have managed to track down Edith's birth certificate she was born Edith Irene Barker, born 24/10/1898 in Grayingham Lincolnshire

I also found her in the 1911 Census and in 1916 at 194 Gleadless Road Sheffield since then I have not been able to find if she went on to marry, have further children or died. As my parent have since passed away and only aware of dad illegitimacy since his passing it came as a huge shock. My grandfather and aunts and uncles have also passed on so have no way of getting any further information. Edith's Father was a farm labourer and I think they must have moved to Sheffield where Edith had dad, my Grandfather lived and worked his whole life in Warop, Mansfield area; he married Amelia Whetton in 1916 in Warsop just around the same time Edith was giving birth.

I have listed details of Edith's family below in the hope that someone can give me some insight into what to do next. I have tried Ancestry, Genes, Free bmd, and being in Australia I am unable to visit libraries etc., but she seems to have dropped off the radar.

Edith Irene Barker
    Father: Charles Barker 1873 born Lincolnshire
    Mother: Elizabeth Hobson 1875 "
    Siblings: Gertrude 1901 Lincolnshire
    Charles 1903 "
    Frank 1906 "
    John 1908 "
    Florence 1911 "
    Half Sibling Dorothy Constance May Hobson born 1898 Lincolnshire.

Any help would be gratefully accepted Cathy

Are you saying here that your father, Frank Brownlow Barker, was brought up by his alleged father, (unnamed) Brownlow, who went on to marry Amelia the same year Frank was born. Just trying to get my head round this.
    It is possible then that your grandfather kept in touch with Edith after the birth and for some reason took Frank into his family - perhaps Edith died or could no longer look after him.
    Is this your Grandfather?
    sept 1896 BROWNLOW Frank Mansfield 7b 58
    and marriage:
    sept 1916 Frank Brownlow to Amelia Whetton Mansfield 7b 1888

I cannot find a death at the moment for Edith:(
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-08-14, 07:22.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Just another thought - have you tried tracing any of Edith's siblings? There might be info to be gathered there as to Edith's demise.
      Kat

Comment

Have you ruled out the various marriages for Edith I Barker?

OC

Comment

Hi Katarzyna
          Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, computer problems but finally fixed.
          According to my older sister, she said that my father went to live with his father around 1920, he was taken from his mother as
          he was covered in sores and scabs, he stayed with my grandfather until adulthood, I do have a extract of his birth applied for in 1921, as
          well as his certificate that I applied for.
          The birth and marriage for Frank Browlow are my grandfathers and I am unsure if he kept in touch with Edith as his wife Amelia was only
          told about dad on her wedding day, the family wanted her to cancel the wedding but she went ahead with it, this of course had come to us
          via family how true it is I cannot confirm. I did try checking Edith's sibling but was unable to confirm anything.

Comment

Hi Paul
            Just checked 1901 return record, that odd as Edith is listed as Edith T no I yet the 1911 show Edith I - Birth certificate shows Edith I.
            could this be a misprint by the census taker, or perhaps I should try searching Edith T. ?

Comment

Hi OC
              I have tried this but came up with an Edith I Barker born in Bradford, not the same Father. George Barker
              An Edith Barker who married a William Green in 1914, same area as dad's birth but Father is William John Barker
              I am still going down this track but so many Edith Barker's
              Also, obtained a death certificate in 1921 for Edith Barker, age 33 years, spinster, father Cornelius Barker.
              Cathy

Comment

With the same parents in 1911 census she is listed as Edith Irene not Edith I or T.
                Kat

Comment

Back to the drawing board, will try to look at marriages for Edith I Barker again, have been through all the siblings again to try a link up, so far no joy But not giving in and I had a similar situation with my mothers mother and that took me ages to find, but found her in the end.

Comment

Have you seen the marriage between Edith I Barker and Norwood Denton registered Stockton June Q 1927?

Stella Denton born Sep Q 1930 mmn Barker Gainsborough.

Comment

Checked out the marriage Barker to Denton, Edith's father is George and mother Annie, my Edith Father is Charles and mother Elizabeth so another dead end unfortunately. I have found Edith on the 1911 Census, aged 12 yrs, with her family in Lincolnshire and one kind person found Charles Barker in the Trade Directory living at 194 Gleadless Road Sheffield in 1916, this is where my father was born (same year). So the family must have moved from Lincolnshire to Sheffield and Edith had the baby there. Edith and possible family must have moved close to Warsop as Grandad lived and worked there. Edith was listed as a Domestic Servant so she could have been in service in the area, Edith had dad within a couple of months of marrying Amelia Whetton in 1916. Edith has become a ghost since 1916 can't even find a death or marriage.

Comment

There are several trees on Ancestry with the Barker family in them - have you been in touch with any of them at all?

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret. I had seen several trees on Ancestry with the Barker Family, but none of them give any details of what has happened to
                          Edith, it states only a birth date. Perhaps as you say I should get in contact with them as they may have some information. Assumed that because they stopped at birth date and no further they knew nothing more. But will make contact in the hope that someone may know. Thank you. Cathy

Comment

Cathy

When women disappear from the records, there are four reasons:

1. Married (or lived with someone under their name)
                            2. Died
                            3. Emigrated
                            4. Institutionalised and seen only under their initials.

Have you investigated emigration?

OC

Comment

I have started to investigate emigration so hopefully may find a lead there. No death records found so far, but if she lived with somebody and took his name or entered an institution I guess that is going to be very hard to locate. If she did live with someone checking births may be an option providing her maiden name was used?

Comment

Originally posted by catt123 View Post
                                Hi Margaret. I had seen several trees on Ancestry with the Barker Family, but none of them give any details of what has happened to
                                Edith, it states only a birth date. Perhaps as you say I should get in contact with them as they may have some information. Assumed that because they stopped at birth date and no further they knew nothing more. But will make contact in the hope that someone may know. Thank you. Cathy
                                I would certainly get in touch with all of them and ask what if anything they know - there may not be any facts to put on a tree but there may be lots of anecdotal information including whther or not she went abroad/died/married.

Good luck.

Margaret

Comment

I have started to make contact so am hopeful for any information they might be able to supply. If only mum and dad had told us and given us more information, but dad was so embarrassed about his birth, so guess understand especially in that era. thanks Cathy

Comment

Working...
                                  X