Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant Officer Edward David Davis RN, died in Haslar Hospital around November 1849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant Officer Edward David Davis RN, died in Haslar Hospital around November 1849

Hi folks,

I am trying to track down my wife's great great great grandfather, who according to his son Arthur's marriage certificate was a Warrant Officer in the Royal Navy at the time of his death.

From my wife's grandmother's memoirs (she actually wrote some of her own family's history some years ago) we believe that Edward Davis died in Haslar Hospital, from lockjaw, around the time that Arthur was born. Sadly we haven't been able to find a birth certificate index entry for Arthur; neither can we find any reference to a death certificate entry for Edward. I had this thought that maybe he was buried in one of the cemeteries around Haslar, and today I telephoned the Haslar Cemetery to be told that their burials only start from around 1880. The gentleman I spoke to was kind enough to seek out the phone number for Ann's Hill Cemetery, however I think I read in another thread on here that this cemetery opened in 1855, which is obviously still too late. I am at a loss now as to where else he might have been buried. Frustratingly, we don't have a date of birth for Edward, neither do we know the name of his widow - we can only surmise from the memoirs that she had married before, and that Arthur had 2 step brothers and a sister - again, no names or dates of birth.

So, I would very much appreciate any pointers as to where to look to obtain this man's burial details - and anything else for that matter. The hope is, that we can at least get a burial date and an age.

Thanks,

Clive

Welcome to the forum, Clive.

When and where was Arthur born? When/where did he marry? Have you found him on the census prior to marriage, if so can you give the details.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine, thanks for responding.

The only evidence for place/date of birth is my wife's grandmother's memoirs - according to this, Arthur was born in Kittering Terrace at Mile End, Portsmouth, either the day before or the day after his father died in Haslar (November 1849).

From the marriage certificate, Arthur married Lizzie Bridge Kemp on 25th March 1872 in Portsea, Hampshire. The father of the groom is shown as 'Edward David Davis, Warrant Officer RN (deceased)'.

The census entries seem also to be conspicuous by their absence - the earliest I have been able to find is for 1881, by which time of course he is married - no sign of his mother, sadly.

Regards,

Clive

Comment

Sorry Clive, can you give a link to the 1881 census - or census ref.
        Elaine

Comment

Have you eliminated this birth registration for Arthur?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
          Arthur John Davies
          Registration Year - 1848
          Registration Quarter - Oct-Nov-Dec
          Registration district - Southampton
          Volume: 7
          Page: 216

.. although possibly not as it's Southampton rather than Portsmouth!
          Elaine

Comment

For info -
            Burials at Haslar and Clayhall Royal Navy cemeteries, Gosport, Hampshire (1826 - 1911) are available (or will be available) on Deceased Onlne

- although I cannot see anything for Edward Davis.
            Elaine

Comment

this post on another site may help with some details not mentioned

Comment

Elaine, thanks very much for this info.

Regards,

Clive

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Have you eliminated this birth registration for Arthur?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
                  Arthur John Davies
                  Registration Year - 1848
                  Registration Quarter - Oct-Nov-Dec
                  Registration district - Southampton
                  Volume: 7
                  Page: 216

.. although possibly not as it's Southampton rather than Portsmouth!

There's an Arthur DAVIS, aged 2 in 1851, with his parents Thomas and Sarah, in St Mary's Soton. That seems a likely candidate for that birth record.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see that in 1881, he's a merchant seaman - which could explain why he's so difficult to trace in earlier censuses!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Clive,
                      In the death duty index on Findmypast, there is an entry for an Edward Davis, death year 1851, Residence Portsea Hampshire.

There is an image attached to the record but unfortunately, for some reason, the image isn't opening for me at the moment.
                      It also gives a TNA reference of IR27/296 - if that helps in any way!

It might be worth following this up if you haven't already done so.
                      Elaine

Comment

Image has now opened - although it has been transcribed as Davis, the name is actually Davies.
                        Appears to be this PCC will - available on Ancestry

After all that, not sure it's relevant/helpful!
                        Elaine

Comment

There's a possibility of finding him in the record set ADM 305 at The National Archives which contains Haslar burials from 1824 (not sure how complete they are). From memory they are not indexed so you'd need to go through them chronologically- in the case I was looking at at least I had a death record so finding the burial was quite straightforward. Hope this helps
                          Last edited by Bertie; 21-08-14, 08:47.

Comment

Morning all, thanks very much for all these replies!

@Elaine, I have looked at the death duty entry and the document on Ancestry - it's intriguing, but I am not sure if he is the right man. A probate date of 1851 might possibly fit with a death in late 1849, and of course it's a common enough thing for scribes to spell a person's name differently to how it actually should be spelt, for a whole variety of reasons... it's a real struggle to read it though, and from the little of it that I can actually read, there's no other name that I recognise.

@Christine, yes Arthur was indeed a merchant seaman, and the memoirs of his time make interesting reading - it's yet to be proven, but the story goes that he worked on board Lillie Langtrey's yacht on a regular basis!

@Bertie, I guess the one you mean is ADM 305/103? That's a possibility. I must confess I have never actually been to TNA at Kew, although I have managed to order things for download before now. When I tried to order a copy of the Haslar patient records for the year 1849 (ADM 102/328), I was quoted £500 which was (and still is!) a bit beyond me. However, I have asked for a quote for this to be digitised, as by the sound of things it *should* be a smaller set. I also specifically asked for just the year 1849, which assuming they are able to do this should be even smaller. I'll feed back the outcome of this request when I get it.

Thanks again for everyone's input, very kind of you all.

Regards,

Clive

Comment

Clive, it may well be useful to look at the website Knightroots Parish Transcriptions - these are some (not all) transcriptions for the Forton Barracks area and further afield in Hampshire - many of the entries are for those serving at sea.
                              Marriages on this website are particularly useful as they give not just name of bride and groom but occupation and witnesses also names of parents.

Sue

Comment

Sue, thanks very much for this - I found this site, which I presume is the one you mean:

The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.

I have checked all the 'Gosport' burial lists, but sadly no reference to Edward Davis.

The Knightsroot hint is a good one, I have bookmarked that site for future reference.

Thanks again,

Clive

Comment

Glad it was useful - might also be worthwhile checking the Elson ones - I found my chap there in 1869 getting married. They also bury there..

Sue

Comment

While the sources Sue mentions are, indeed, useful (if patchy in terms of coverage) Haslar had an enormous burial ground so it's most likely your man was buried there. Any news yet from TNA about the cost of digitising the records?

Comment

I wonder whether it would be useful for you to approach "Punch's Mum" a member on this site who does look-ups for Alverstoke - it certainly proved useful to me as she got me quite a few births I couldn't find for a family resident in Forton Barracks for the most part.
                                      Just a thought BUT could your chap have died at sea and also is there a Mariners site anywhere?

Sue

Comment

Working...
                                      X