Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go from here

Hello,

Thank you first off for letting me join. I started my research years ago but its a process especially when my children were a little younger. However I have started my itch of digging again.

I have hit a wall of where to search now and if there is a way to get my hands on anything actually.

So my great grandfather was a British Home Child who came to Canada in 1895. After living in the Freeman Orphanage for 8 years.
    I have been able to trace his family to 1784 in Cornwall England.
    All my research has been found on Ancestry of course as I don't know where else to search.

How or where can I search past my 5 x great parents to see maybe who their parents were or what they did.

I found out my 3 x great grandfather was a master tailor and also was a freeman of the City of London. His father also seemed to do great things from some info I have managed to get my hands on even tho I can barely read it.

Any help would be appreciated I am in Alberta Canada so until I get to London to search myself I need a hand

Also does anyone know if I can get records for a mental hospital ?

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

Can you give the names of your Cornish ancestors and where they were living? There are a lot of resources online and it may well be possible to get further back.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        Welcome to FTF.

Can you give the names of your Cornish ancestors and where they were living? There are a lot of resources online and it may well be possible to get further back.
        Yes Elizabeth thank you.......The ancestors I am finding in Cornwall have the names Edmund Farthing was born in Chelmsford, Essex, England 25 Dec 1808. His parents were Joshua Farthing born in Launceston, Cornwall, England in 1781. His Wife was Loveday Clifton born April 1784 week St Mary, Cornwall England

Joshua's parents were George Farthing born 1752 Launceston Cornwall. His Mother was Mary Gliddon born 1753 not sure where tho.

Lovedays Parents were John Clifton and Loveday Ayres this is all the info I have for them.

I am very curious on how far I can go back, what they did work wise, any neat history things that may come from them.

Thank you Elizabeth

Comment

From Ancestry

Loveday Ayres bap 9 Apr 1737 at St Just in Penwith Cornwall. Father John.

Not sure if you have that info
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just looked on Freereg and there are a lot of bap marriages and burials for Ayres so might be better for you to look yourself and match people up.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Welcome to the forum jamsing.

In case you haven't already found it, we have a reference library on the forum which will give you links to various resources as well as research guides which may be of help - accessed via the tab on the tool bar at top of page. Click on the index on the left hand side of page and have a look through what is available.

Within the British Isle index you will see a page dedicated to Cornwall - click here

One of the most useful sites I have found for Cornwall is the Online Parish Clerk website which has a number of transcribed resources -
              .. and also take a look at another site called FreeReg which offers good coverage.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by jamsing View Post
                Also does anyone know if I can get records for a mental hospital ?
                Are you referring to UK records? What sort of date are you looking at here. You may find that there is a 75 year closure on hospital records, even if you can find where they are!

This guide on The National Archives may help ..
                Elaine

Comment

If you are only using Ancestry , then do you have all the necessary certificates and other sources to prove the connections you are making, or are you taking the information from other users trees ? Always remember, that excellent as Ancestry is , it still only gives you access to a tiny fraction of the records that might be available about your ancestors.

Once into the 18thC , you need to be accessing the parish records of the places concerned, but these can be very limited in the info given so you also need to be using wills and other local records to confirm the connections. The London records you need will probably be at the London Metropolitan Archives, or the Guildhall Library

What is the record you are having trouble reading ?
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The Cornwall OPC site is free and very useful:

Baptism of Loveday Ayres:

Day Month 09-Apr
                    Year 1737
                    Parish Or Reg District Just in Penwith, St.
                    Forename Loveday
                    Surname AYRES
                    Sex dau
                    Father Forename John
                    Transcriber Bob Bolitho

Marriage:

Day Month 07-Oct
                    Year 1776
                    Parish Or Reg District Week St. Mary
                    Groom Fn John
                    Groom Sn CLIFTON
                    Groom Age
                    Groom Residence Week St Mary
                    Groom Condition
                    Groom Rank Profession
                    Groom Signed / Marked (S/M) S
                    Groom Father Name
                    Groom Father Rank Profession
                    Bride Fn Loveday
                    Bride Sn AYERS
                    Bride Age
                    Bride Residence Week St Mary
                    Bride Condition
                    Bride Rank Profession
                    Bride Signed / Marked (S/M) S
                    Bride Father Name
                    Bride Father Rank Profession
                    Banns / Licence (B/L) B
                    Witness Fn1 Arthur
                    Witness Sn1 CLIFTON
                    Witness Fn2 Wm.
                    Witness Sn2 PARSONS
                    Other Information
                    Transcriber Notes bride signed Lovie CLIFTON, late AYERS
                    Transcriber Dallas Manicom

Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 19-08-14, 16:09.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Baptism of George Farthing:

Day Month 17-Sep
                      Year 1752
                      Parish Or Reg District Launceston, St. Mary Magdalene
                      Forename George
                      Surname FARTHING
                      Sex son
                      Father Forename George (Jun'r)
                      Mother Forename
                      Residence
                      Father Rank Profession
                      Notes
                      Transcriber Notes
                      Transcriber Philippa Stout
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Marriage of George Farthing/Fardin and Mary Gliddon

Day Month 29-Nov
                        Year 1772
                        Groom Fn George
                        Groom Sn FARDIN
                        Bride Fn Mary
                        Bride Sn GLIDDON
                        Bride Signed / Marked (S/M)
                        Banns / Licence (B/L) Bans
                        Other Information
                        Transcriber Notes Source: BTs
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

If Mary Gliddon was born in 1753 this could be her baptism:

Day Month 25-Feb
                          Year 1753
                          Forename Mary
                          Surname GLIDDON
                          Sex daughter
                          Father Forename Thomas
                          Mother Forename
                          Residence
                          Father Rank Profession
                          Notes
                          Transcriber Notes

If you want to search the Cornwall OPC site here is the link:

Cornwall OPC Database - Search Cornish parish genealogy records
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                          X