James Burgess 1796

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Burgess 1796

I'm doing really well so far and have found a Great Great grandfather on the 1841 census.

James Burgess Date of birth 1796 - Gloucester

His wife was Elizth Burgess, nee John Date of Birth 1796 - Gloucester.

They had children Hester, Geo, Elizth, Joseph, William and Ann.

I can't find there marriage or birth records.

Any help would be appreciated.

Julia

Jurapow - am going to move your thread over to our Family History Research section in the hope that someone can help you by accessing online records - or at least pointing you in the right direction of where the info might be available.
    Elaine

Comment

Well you won't find birth records, as birth registration only started in 1837 :(- you will need to look for baptism records instead. (Unless they were Quakers, Baptists etc who sometimes kept records of births of children born to members.)

This is a useful free site:
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

also this one:
      Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

You might not find any likely events, but always worth a try.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Jurapow - am going to move your thread over to our Family History Research section in the hope that someone can help you by accessing online records - or at least pointing you in the right direction of where the info might be available.

Thanks Elaine. Julia

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Well you won't find birth records, as birth registration only started in 1837 :(- you will need to look for baptism records instead. (Unless they were Quakers, Baptists etc who sometimes kept records of births of children born to members.)

This is a useful free site:
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

also this one:
          Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

You might not find any likely events, but always worth a try.

Jay
          Thanks Janet. So am I to understand that if I can't find the records I am looking for in the sites you suggest, then that is the end of the road?

Julia

Comment

Originally posted by Jurapow View Post
            Thanks Janet. So am I to understand that if I can't find the records I am looking for in the sites you suggest, then that is the end of the road?

Julia
            With any online records you are dependent upon what's been uploaded / transcribed - and how accurate the transcriptions are.
            You are also dependent on how variable the name is: it's usually wise not to be too strict about spelling. there are some amazing variants for surnames for people who are clearly the same person/family (see my footer!).

You may need to consider visiting the local Records/Archives Offices - or, at least, to look on their websites to see which records they have so that you can assess whether there are any records missing from the online sites which would be critical to your search - or whether it would be worth visiting them, or asking someone else to do so on your behalf if the distance is an impediment.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello
              I had a quick look on Family Search, asking for baptism of Burgess children in Gloucester with parents James & Elizabeth. Several of your names are there. Worth looking into.
              Charity

Comment

Originally posted by charity View Post
                Hello
                I had a quick look on Family Search, asking for baptism of Burgess children in Gloucester with parents James & Elizabeth. Several of your names are there. Worth looking into.
                Charity
                Thanks Charity, I'll go and have a look. Julia

Comment

Working...
                X