Messingham Lincolnshire 1890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messingham Lincolnshire 1890

Please can anyone advise where I would go to in Lincolnshire to research for the Messingham area I am wanting to see newspapers for this area for the period 1889-1890. Also can I find out about where a child might have been born in Messingham if I have the exact date of birth. Please note. No Birth Certificate has been found despite all my searches. I know the exact date and place of Birth from the persons occupation record as he was a Policeman in Lancashire and the details are on his record. Interestingly this child was the 3rd born of many more children and every one of them has a birth certificate except this one. All the other children were born in Dalton in Furness Lancashire but my child was born in February 1890 in Messingham I can add that the ancestors and Parents and Grandparents were all born in Messingham area. I need to find out why they left Dalton in Furness after their 2nd child was born in 1888 and went to Messingham for a short while. They were back in Dalton in Furness by the time of the 1891 census. Before the 3rd child was born in February 1890 in Messingham they must have be living somewhere as they had 2 children under 5 and cant have been walking the streets. Where can I find out any more info about births documented for this period or where they were living? I have found the Baptism of the child in April 1890 in Messingham. I have searched for many years to solve this Please can anyone help? Thank You Pam Green

Find my past have all sorts of newspapers, there is a special offer at the moment for £1
    Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

(this will renew after the first month at full price unless you go into "my Account" and untick)

Comment

A large portion of the Messingham registers are on FreeREG.
      This would be your first point of call if you cannot find what you are looking for in FreeReg

You could put the names you are looking for on here if you would like help. NOT living persons though.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I would agree with Jill re a month's sub to FMP.
        If you are going to have to travel to Lincolnshire, then you might also like to consider a month's sub with the British newspaper archive (£9.95), IF FMP doesn't help.

What did the father do - might the move have been job related?
        How long after the birth was the baptism?

Have you checked for name variants when searching for the birth registration?
        Do you want to add any names to your thread in case anyone can help?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry I see you have actually found the birth!

North East Lincs Archives hold the some records for Messingham but I can't see much there that will help you.

Kat

Comment

Findmypast holds records for Lincolnshire Chronicle which cites records for Messingham. It's the only newspaper in that area for that time frame.

Just a thought. You say they had relatives in Messingham; it could be that they went there just to have the child - to be close to family for all sorts of personal reasons.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-08-14, 09:47.
            Kat

Comment

It is possible that he went there for work reasons or to be near family but that does not explain why out of 13 children he is the only one with no birth certificate I have copiers of all possible birth certificates but none are the right one The Baptism took place 8 weeks after child born, so where were they living with 2 children under 5 and a baby? I have taken this question to WDYTYR and no one has been able to help. The Father was a Limestone Quarryman in Dalton in Furness Lancs Thanks again Pam Green

Comment

I see you have queried this before. This thread will prevent repeating the same searches time and again.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-08-14, 10:46.
                Kat

Comment

Perhaps they didn't get to the registrar within the allotted 6 weeks and were afraid of a fine, so didn't bother.

Is it possible that the birth took place somewhere else (i.e in another district), but because he was baptised at Messingham, your man thought it was his place of birth?

If the father was a manual worker, rather than management, I wouldn't expect to find a birth announcement in the paper as late as 1890, especially for a third child. My best finds in cases like yours, have been an announcement of the baptism in church parish magazines; but as you already have the baptism date and place that wouldn't be of any help. You could do with seeing the original entry in the baptism register as this may give a clue - should give place of normal abode of parents. I found a Bingley bp the other month where the parents abode was given as a town in India, reinforcing our theory that having lost their first child, the parents took leave,came home to England for the confinement and then returned to India with their infant son a few weeks after the birth.
                  Were any other villages, hamlets included in Messingham parish?

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have seen original Baptism entry but gives no more clues If the baby was born in a Nursing Home would there be records of this as we are passed the 100 years period Or if he was born " at home" would there be a record of residents I am trying every scenario Thanks Pam Green

Comment

Having read through your GR thread (linked above) I don't think you will find any medical records. Most births took place at home, attended by family members or the local village "midwife." In cases of extreme difficulty, the local doctor may have been sent for, but it would have been up to him whether or not he kept any records, and I think most of them didn't. (He would rely on his knowledge of the patients, many of whom would only call on his services when all other remedies had failed - it all had to be paid for and was relatively expensive, even paying off the bill at a few pennies a week.)
                      In my experience, unless a very large village, birth certificates and other documents tended to just have the name of the village, rather than a specific address - unless it was the vicarage or other large private house, farm name or trade location, like tailor's shop, school house.
                      Most of my ancestors were from small villages - there is no documentation to record their specific abode. I can work out where they lived in census years, but only through personal knowledge of the village and its former inhabitants. I am able to pinpoint specific families to certain properties and so work out the route taken by the enumerator. However, without my personal detailed local knowledge, built up over many decades, I wouldn't be able to do this and would be stuck at village name only.

With regards to my own village study, apart from census records, there are no other records of employment until WW1 service records, which may state an employer as well as an occupation; although most of the occupations are vague e.g farm servant, labourer in paint factory.

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-08-14, 11:22.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have you looked at the circumstances of grandparents and extended family in Messingham 1885-1891? Deaths, illnesses etc - sometimes these can give clues as to why people moved around.
                        Have you traced the father's employment in Lancashire on either side of this birth? Did he work at the same job, for the same employer? Did he lose his job and go back to Lincolnshire where there was family support? Have you checked registration districts along the route from Lancashire to Lincolnshire?

By the late 1880's, all children 5 years old and above were supposed to attend school. Perhaps this is another avenue for you to explore.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have looked at all you mention including school records but still not giving up any more clues about Messingham birth The actual Birth date is February 27th 1890. I really hope one day I can solve this Thanks again Pam Green

Comment

The actual Birth date is February 27th 1890.

I'm just being pedantic here, but until you find a birth registration and get the BC, it is ALLEGED birth date!

I've had: dob recorded in the bp reg (as well as BP date) differing from birth certificate
                            wrong date given on my grandfather's BC - the date given was AFTER the date of registration!
                            2 different years of birth recorded on 2 different sets of army records for the same soldier (nothing to do with him being underage)
                            incorrect dob given at registration of a death
                            wrong year of birth recorded in a bp entry and on other "official" documents, as well as countless instances of incorrect age.)

I'm sure your man most likely was born 27 Feb 1890, but at present, it is still alleged.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-08-14, 13:09.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

If that is the answer there would still be a BC out there in a different time but there isn't I have looked at that scenario as well? Thanks for trying Kind regards Pam Green

Comment

There's a William Charles Stow who's birth was registered in Q2 1890 in Glandford Brigg (the Reg District that covers Messingham). Have you ruled him out?

STG
                                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Yes I have a copy of the BC for William Charles Stow but its not the right one Thanks Pam Green

Comment

Working...
                                  X