Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naturalised papers

can anyone help me please,thanks stan
    i have found my g/parents on the 1911 census married 3 years they both came from poland ?,i assume they would have become british citizens but cannot find anything,samuel kirsch born 1881 poland,annie kirsch b 1878 poland,108 burdett road,mile end london,e3

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...IDES%7cWEBSITE National Archives may help look at the page here

Sorry I don't have any subscriptions to sites but others may be able to help
    Welcome to the Forum
    Edna

Comment

UK Naturalization papers are now on Ancestry!

Comment

Here's the link:

Comment

While researching for you, I found these other possible pieces of information on Samuel and Annie in connection with their deaths. The London Gazette sometimes carried notices of naturalization. In this case I couldn't find any reference to them.
          Samuel?
          (208)I5th August, 1943(206)14th August, 1943(205)(204)loth August, 1943i8th August, 1943(195)16th August, 1943(194)3ist August, 1943(193)12th Augu...

Annie?
          Name of Deceased (Surname first) IRONS, Rose Florence ... PHPPER, Ada Dorothy ... KIRSCH, Annie CALLUM, Beatrice May......
          Last edited by keldon; 15-08-14, 10:37.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Not everyone naturalised - in WW1 (and WW2) many "foreigners" were interned for the duration of the war. These included many people who had been here for many years but hadn't naturalised.

OC

Comment

If that is indeed Samuel's death in the Gazette he could have bought the business just up the road and became a tobacconist instead of working from home as a hairdresser/barber.
              Quotes from National Archives and as OC stated above:
              'The majority settling in the United Kingdom before 1844 did not go through the legal formalities of applying for naturalisation or denization.
              Before 1844 naturalisation was granted by a private act of parliament. Until 1844, the procedure for naturalisation was expensive and only a few could afford it. Those naturalised by an act of parliament received the rights of a natural-born British subjects.'

'Naturalisation case papers (1934-c1968)
              Search our catalogue (HO 405) by last name for naturalisation case papers.
              Files may also contain later correspondence, mostly until the mid-1960s but some as late as 1996.
              The documents are subject to 100 year closure (although access can be requested under the Freedom of Information Act 2000) and only about 40% of applications in this series have survived.'

I was lucky as my parents in law had copies of all these documents in a metal tin at the back of a cupboard!
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-08-14, 11:44.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

hi all
                thank you all for your help
                i have seen on the 1911 census form for my g/parents that i found on line it has been written on it british subject
                my g/parents were very sucessfull in bussiness i:e owned many houses in and around mile end my g/father was a barber so was my g/mother and owned 3 barber shops i am sure that they would have done everything possable to become legal in the uk

thanks
                stan

Comment

Just because they said on census that they were British subjects doesn't actually mean that they were! They were not doing anything illegal by not naturalising.

If you cannot find naturalisation papers in the National Archives, you could look to see if they werre interned as aliens during WW1. Did they change their surname? Did they have sons, who might be more inclined towards naturalisation (or not!) as they would be called to fight.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X