Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with handwriting (RNAS service record)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with handwriting (RNAS service record)

Hi

My great grandfather served in WW1 as a photographer for RNAS (transferring in to the RAF in 1918). From stories that he told my dad we know that he flew in some of the early airships taking photos of the enemy over France and the North Sea.

I have managed to track down his service records from both his time in RNAS and the RAF. We are trying to identify the bases where he was posted.

Below (is hopefully) a screenshot of part of his RNAS record. We can read most of his postings, but are stumped by his 2nd posting - the 3rd line down - dated 29 Dec 16 - 9 Apr 17 (we can do the easy to read postings of President II, Chingford, Crystal Palace and Cranwell).

RNASrecord.jpg

From the RAF record we have, this states only that he had served in France between the dates above ... can anyone help with the location? - we think it starts "L".

Many thanks in advance
    Geri

Looks like Luschil to me but I can't see that's a place anywhere on google maps but perhaps it just doesn't exist any more.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret

I've spent quite a while on google maps too and have yet to find a possible location - I agree it may not exist now.

Geri

Comment

Humour me, this is a really wild guess!

I think it says

"Loosegil" which would be shorthand for Loos-en-Gohille. The date fits the date of the battle of Loos. The full name of the town of Loos is Loos-en-Gohille.

OC

Comment

Well thought out OC.....................I couldn't offer an alternative.

Comment

Thanks OC - I like the thinking - I've passed it on to my dad who is going to do some more investigating

Comment

Personally, I think it's Luxeuil. Here it's misspelt as Luxeil. The RNAS were posted there during the war.
              Try this google search to see what you think.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Agree with Keldon - Luxeuil spelt as Luxeil.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks Keldon - we'll have a look into Luxueil as well

Comment

I agree with Phil, it was Luxeuil - the aerial reconnaisance and photography rather clinch it!

So sorry for my stupid post ...but I did say it was a wild guess, lol.

*Crawls off thread*

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X