Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP find some current family for Constance May MELLOR 1901 - 1983.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP find some current family for Constance May MELLOR 1901 - 1983.

Constance May MELLOR was born 21 May 1901 in Stoke-on-Trent and her death was registered in the 2nd Q of 1983 in Watford. The phonebook shows that she lived in Bushey, Herts, for many years up to her death.

Her parents were Joshua MELLOR, a potters' materials merchant, and Betsy Louisa née SHUFFLEBOTHAM. She had a brother, George Herbert MELLOR, born about 1893/4, also in Stoke-on-Trent. The 1911 census record asserts that there were no other children of the marriage. George worked in the bank until he joined up in 1915. He married Gladys Hannah JONES (b abt 1892) in Colwyn Bay Parish Church on 11 Sep 1918 - and "C M MELLOR" was one of the witnesses. Joshua had died 26 Nov 1914 - Betsy Louisa was one of his executors. George died 10/11 Feb 1919 in Valenciennes, of pneumonia, following on from influenza - having been gassed at some point before that. (There's quite a bit about him in the De Ruvigny Roll of Honour, on FMP. The marriage info also came from FMP, their Denbigh records, with Welsh Archives Services images.)

The reason for all this info is that some boxes of her letters (both to and fro, as far as I understand it) have been found and rescued from being "binned". We aren't sure why they were in one of the local schools, but they certainly don't want to keep them. A local historian - the curator of our WW1 Exhibition (http://www.busheyworldwarone.org.uk/) - has made a start on sorting through them and tells me that they include "school report for CMM from Kent College, letters from Colwyn Bay and then all sorts of letters and documents, builder’s bills etc from the addresses you have mentioned*. Constance Mellor, like her brother, was musical and took a qualification at RAM†, then another qualification in nursing. She met a young man called Jimmie, when they were both very young, but the relationship did not blossom. However, he wrote to her almost daily for nearly 30 years – a very sad story. When she lived in Aldenham Road she ran an ‘alternative medicine ‘practice and then a ‘cultured and elegant’ boarding house – hence ‘housekeeper’."
    * I had let her know of the addresses that are shown in the Ancestry phonebook collection.
    † For anyone who doesn't recognise the initials, that's the Royal Academy of Music.

The local historian also tells me: The Principal of the Academy told [the staff who found them] to ‘bin it’ but they would like to find a relative. Have you had any success in contacting relatives thought websites? I had no response on the few occasions I tried.

Can we help find a proper home for these letters? Constance has no (known) direct descendants. It doesn't look as if there were any children of her brother's marriage, either. It will be a question of working back, across and then down (like Heir Hunters!). I can't afford to spend a lot of time on this at the moment: it's less than a fortnight to our younger son's wedding! I have sent messages about this to two tree-holders on Ancestry: "LouiseST" and "matt18687".

Christine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have looked at:
    FMP:
    1911 census - Constance with her family
    GRO Index for births
    Denbigh Marriages - George's marriage

Ancestry:
    England & Wales Probate Calendar - Joshua's probate
    British Phone Books

FreeBMD:
    for children of George's marriage

Times Digital Archive:
    no hits found
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Some to get started.
    this is the 1911 census
    Living Regent St. Stoke on Trent
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Joshua Meller head 43 Merchant Potters materials b Stoke on Trent
    Betsy Louisa Meller wife 45 b Fenton marr 22 years 2 children 2 alive
    George Herbert Meller 18 Bank clerk b SOT
    Constance Meller 10 b SOT
    Annie Maria Micklin 32 servant
    Margaret Tyler 26 servant

1901 Living Sawdon? House, Minton Place SOT

Joshua Mellor 33
    Betsy L Mellor 35
    George H Mellor 8
    Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

living 22 Glebe Terrace SOT

Joshua Mellor 28 ??ath Flint Miller
    Betsy Louisa Mellor 25
    Elizabeth Bourne 65 MIL widow b SOT
    Annie Belshaw 19 servant

Baptism

Name: Betsey Louisa Shufflebotham
    Baptism Date: 30 Aug 1865
    Baptism Place: Fenton, Stafford, England
    Father: Samuel Shufflebotham
    Mother: Elizabeth

Living 163 High St Fenton
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Hamlet Bourne 44 b Fenton
    Elizabeth Bourne 45 b Shelton
    Hamlet Bourne 18 b Fenton
    Samuel J Bourne 16 ditto
    Alfred T Shufflebotham 16 ditto step son
    Edmund J Shufflebotham7 ditto step son
    Betsy Shufflebotham 5 ditto step dau
    Mary Sheldon 20 servant
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-08-14, 21:01. Reason: sp
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

This is Gladys Jones in 1911
      Trefgarnedd, 10 Meirion Gardens Colwyn Bay Denbighshire

William Jones 47 b Bangor, Carnarvon, Wales. Town Surveyor & Kake Engineer (Looks like Water Engineer to me!)
      Anne J Jones 49 b Bangor, Carnarvon, Wales marr 23 years 3 children 2 living
      Anne M Jones 21 b ditto
      Gladys H Jones 19 b Colwyn Bay, Denbighshire, Wales
      Kat

Comment

George Herbert Mellor - probate to wife Gladys and Alfred Thomas Bourne a company Secretary.

Alfred Thomas Bourne was b Alfred Thomas Shufflebotham (Betsy Louisa's brother.)
        1871 census shows him with his stepfather Hamlet Bourne and sister Betsy:

Alfred married Ellen Bourne Jun 1880 SOT 6b 250
        He at sometime changes his name
        In 1901 census
        as Bourne

living Bay House, Mount Pleasant, Ashton under Lyne
        Alfred T Bourne 46 head b Fenton Secretary, Colliery Ironworks
        Ellen Bourne 47 wife b Fenton
        Herbert Bourne 16 b Brindley Ford
        Alice M Bourne 7 b Basford
        Fanny Bourne 28 niece
        Elizabeth Broad 20 servant
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-08-14, 22:47.
        Kat

Comment

1891 (No name change yet)
          living 1 Temple St SOT

Arthur T Shufflebotham 36 b Fenton - Cashier in Iron works (definitely looks like Arthur not Alfred)
          Ellen Shufflebotham 37 b Fenton
          Herbert Shufflebotham 5 b Bringley Ford
          Emma Fowell 21 servant
          Eliza Bourne 38 sister in law b Fenton teacher of music
          Kat

Comment

I have put what we have on an Ancestry tree. If anyone is interested in moving forward to find a living ancestor they are welcome to use the tree to help build it. Just pm me with Ancestry Username or email addy.
            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              I have put what we have on an Ancestry tree. If anyone is interested in moving forward to find a living ancestor they are welcome to use the tree to help build it. Just pm me with Ancestry Username or email addy.
              I'd like to help my username is Margaret_March

Comment

Have sent an invite Margaret. Have found lots to go forward with now - hopefully. Please check my data before moving on.
                Kat

Comment

OK will do, but later on as need to get some shopping now!
                  M

Comment

Have you messaged the person with photos of Gladys Hannah Jones in their tree? I see that member was logged in today.

Margaret

Comment

No. Will Do.
                      Have you been able to find the two that Christine put up? "LouiseST" and "matt18687". I put them in the search and the 1st doesn't exist? and the second has no tree to view. Says he hasn't added any content.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        No. Will Do.
                        Have you been able to find the two that Christine put up? "LouiseST" and "matt18687". I put them in the search and the 1st doesn't exist? and the second has no tree to view. Says he hasn't added any content.
                        It's LouieST no 's' in it. abd it was that one that had been logged in today so perhaps a regular user
                        Margaret

Comment

Have found some living cousins (1st cousin x1 removed and two of her children). Possibly in Capetown though! It follows down from the Shufflebotham line through Herbert who changed his name to his wife's name of Bourne. The Ancestry tree owner is Julia_Burdett. Perhaps Christine you could contact her. She has been on Ancestry about a month ago. Have added the info to my tree.
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-08-14, 23:53.
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            It's LouieST no 's' in it. abd it was that one that had been logged in today so perhaps a regular user
                            Margaret
                            The other one must have a private tree that is indexed if he is coming up as a hint or match to any of the names you have on the tree so it still worth contacting him to see what he has.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you all for your help, so far. I've got a lot of things I have to do away from FTF at the moment, so all this teamwork is much appreciated.

If we get to any point where this might need to be moved to "Sensitive", please send me a PM, so that I see it more quickly.

I'll see if I can contact the Ancestry names you have spotted.

many thanks
                              Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I normally copy-paste names from places like Ancestry - for precisely that reason! Sorry about the confusion.

I'd be interested to see how the tree is progressing - I'm mbenedict51 on Ancestry.

thanks
                                Christine
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-08-14, 12:42.

Comment

Here's another ancestry contact H_Taylor52 with Edmund John Shufflebotham (1864-1955) in the tree.

Margaret

Comment

Here's another ancestry contact H_Taylor52 with Edmund John Shufflebotham (1864-1955) in the tree.

Margaret
                                    Thank you, Margaret. I'll see if I can contact H_Taylor52, as well.

Christine

Comment

Margaret
                                      Thank you, Margaret. I'll see if I can contact H_Taylor52, as well. I've just sent an email to a possible address found by Sue1.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                        I normally copy-paste names from places like Ancestry - for precisely that reason! Sorry about the confusion.

I'd be interested to see how the tree is progressing - I'm mbenedict51 on Ancestry.

thanks
                                        Christine
                                        Have sent the invite Christine. The tree is private so have included some living.
                                        Follow Herbert Bourne b 1885 (Constance's 1st cousin - maternal) to find PB female also sister MEB
                                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 14-08-14, 15:06.
                                        Kat

Comment

Working...
                                        X