No announcement yet.

Wheelwright - Carpenter - Same person ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelwright - Carpenter - Same person ?

I have a Thomas Sanders/Saunders, b. abt 1777, either in Warwickshire or "Stapleford, Derbys" (depending on whether you take the 1841 census or 1851 census info as gospel). He dies in Hurley in 1856. He married someone called Ann and I've found baptisms for five children:

Ann, 1803 at Baxterley
    Catherine, 1805 at Kingsbury
    John, 1810 at Kingsbury
    Elizabeth, 1813 at Kingsbury
    Mary, 1816 at Kingsbury

On the first three there's no occupation given, but on the last two (by which time the paperwork style had formalised), he's listed as a wheelwright. On the 1841 and 1851 census, he's a carpenter.

Is it likely that a wheelwright would become a carpenter in later life?

Oh, and as a Brucie-bonus, could anyone find me a marriage to an Ann, please? I've found her burial in Oct 1840 in Kingsbury, age 65 (so b. abt 1775). I've seen the one in Coventry in 1802, but somehow don't think that's them.

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Apart from a metal "tyre" wheels were made by shaping and joining pieces of wood so, if there was less call for wheels, or at an older age he became less capable of handling cart wheels it seems quite feasible that he would take on general carpentry jobs.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

A possible ?
      Warwickshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1910
      Thomas Sanders / Anne Sharrott
      Marriage or Bann Date: 14 Nov 1803
      Parish: Baddesley Ensor

Baddesley Ensor is 1.6 miles from Baxterley where Ann was baptised. Do you have a more specific baptism date for Ann (1803)?
      Elaine

Comment

Yes, sorry Elaine, should have said.

Ann baptised 6 Jan 1803 in Baxterley, d/o Thos and Ann Saunders of Hurley- otherwise I'd have leapt at the Baddesley Ensor one!

Am currently trawling through the Baxterley register. Can find pages and pages of baptisms and burials, but no marriages yet (of anybody!).

STG

Comment

Very common in rural areas for a craftsman who worked with wood to take on a variety of jobs and being described carpenter/joiner/wheelwright. You wouldn't make a living just out of making new and repairing old cartwheels for the inhabitants of a village, nor just doors, window frames etc.
          I've just been going through some WW1 records and one man (and his father) worked for the local lord of the manor - both were recorded as joiner/wheelwright on the census returns for 1901 & 1911, and also the son when he enlisted. Even after WW2 the same estate still retained its joiners shop and took on school leavers to train as joiner/carpenters - the need for wheelwrights had gone by then!

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

OK, Judith and Janet. You've convinced me. Same chap it is then!

Thanks
            STG

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              A possible ?
              Warwickshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1910
              Thomas Sanders / Anne Sharrott
              Marriage or Bann Date: 14 Nov 1803
              Parish: Baddesley Ensor

Baddesley Ensor is 1.6 miles from Baxterley where Ann was baptised. Do you have a more specific baptism date for Ann (1803)?
              Thomas was from the parish of Grendon which is a skip and a hop north of Baddesley Ensor and Baxterley is just south. Surely cannot get much closer.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have several ancestors in rural Oxfordshire who change between wheelwright and carpenter, depending on the census or the record.
                Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  Thomas was from the parish of Grendon which is a skip and a hop north of Baddesley Ensor and Baxterley is just south. Surely cannot get much closer.
                  I'm just puzzled that on Ann's baptism it says "daughter of Thomas and Ann Sanders of Hurley", if Ann snr and Thomas weren't actually married. Unless that's why Ann was baptised at Baxterley, where maybe the priest didn't know the parents, rather than at Kingsbury (which is the parish church for Hurley) where the other children were baptised, by which time the parents were married.

Can anyone read the name of the first witness at Thomas and Anne's marriage? I can see the other two - John Allen Adamthwaite and Charles Albritton - both of whom signed other certs on this and other pages. It's the first one I can't quite make out.

STG

Comment

Working...
                  X