Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Family Tree Maker 2010

I am having trouble - big trouble.
    I've been using this software for years. (FTM 2010)
    I went to enter (eg) William & Jane as parents of Alexander, then I moved over to his wife Jane and put her parents in William & Marion. Every time I do it - it cancels the other parent out so that Alexander & Jane have the same parents, whichever one I've entered last.

It's never happened before - can someone tell me how to get around it please?

I can't ask FTM as it is not a registered copy.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it - but I keep getting this message

I have moved your query to the Family Tree Software section Jood as I think you may get more help here.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-08-14, 09:44.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

I don't use FTM, but that looks like an error on the connection to the familytreemakersite. It may be tied to a problem there, so might be worth waiting a couple of days to see if it fixes it's self.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
      I am having trouble - big trouble.
      I've been using this software for years. (FTM 2010)
      I went to enter (eg) William & Jane as parents of Alexander, then I moved over to his wife Jane and put her parents in William & Marion. Every time I do it - it cancels the other parent out so that Alexander & Jane have the same parents, whichever one I've entered last.

It's never happened before - can someone tell me how to get around it please?

I can't ask FTM as it is not a registered copy.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it - but I keep getting this message

This is the same as the latest message and newest problem of a long line, I got on my FTM 2012 could the sales e-mails from Avanquest Software be infected by something that is causing this?
      As this is a new problem that has only occurred since I have had a deluge of sales e-mails from Avanquest.

Comment

This from a public forum on Ancestry.com might just answer why we are getting problems with FTM

Comment

I am no longer an FTM user but the use of the words Plan and Dashboard suggest that the following link might help

David

Comment

There is a FTM message board on Ancestry - might be worth asking there.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
              I am no longer an FTM user but the use of the words Plan and Dashboard suggest that the following link might help

David
              Hi. David
              May I be nosey and ask what programme you use as I am going to dump FTM and would like to know what else is on the market that is a good quality trouble free programme which will run on Windows 7.
              Regards Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

Family Historian is my current choice. I have tried many others over the years but I believe FH is the best at the moment. There is a bit of a learning curve but this mainly due to the fact that almost everything can be customized to show whatever you want to see. I beleive there is a 30-day trial available if you want to give it a shot.

David

Comment

I've been a FTM user for years. Have just bought Family Historian and am impressed with how you can customise it to your needs, particularly charts which are far superior to FTM. It's going to be a steep learning curve - wish I had moved over to it sooner.
                  Elaine

Comment

Wow, Elaine! A convert! Hope you enjoy it and the FH User Group is very, very helpful.
                    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Wow, Elaine! A convert! Hope you enjoy it and the FH User Group is very, very helpful.
                      Anne
                      I've already used the FH User Group Anne - had problems getting my media from FTM to FH .. and yes, they were very helpful!
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        I've been a FTM user for years. Have just bought Family Historian and am impressed with how you can customise it to your needs, particularly charts which are far superior to FTM. It's going to be a steep learning curve - wish I had moved over to it sooner.
                        Hi. Elaine
                        I have also been a FTM user for years I think I had the first FTM they released and I have used it ever since, at a guess the current programme FTM 2012 is the seventh or eighth one I have purchased and it is going to be the last.
                        Is it difficult to switch from FTM to Family Historian or Rootsmagic or similar programmes without losing information? I have not decided what programme to go for yet but I will have a good look around before I decide on one.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I decided to delete everyone off the tree and start again. Fortunately I only had about 8 names (it was for a friend)

How much is the Family Historian software - anyone know? (Just curious)

Comment

Follow the links on the yellow bar at the top of the thread. There is a free 30 day trial available.
                            Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, I knew they had a 30 day trial, am a bit nervous about using it but will give it a go. I just wanted to know how much the full program cost tho - and it doesnt appear to tell you.

I presume if I saved everything to ged, I could import it to FH?

Comment

I just wanted to know how much the full program cost tho - and it doesn't appear to tell you.
                                Gould sell FH at AUD69, to check the download price, click on the Buy Now and it will show you the price for the download for your location.

I presume if I saved everything to ged, I could import it to FH?
                                Yes, there are some hints and tips in the FHUG knowledge base how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker
                                Jane
                                "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Thanks Jane, how are you finding it? Did it take you long to pick it up?

Comment

Thanks Jane, how are you finding it? Did it take you long to pick it up?
                                    lol ... I have a feeling Jane is one of the Family Historian program experts and runs the FH User Group!

Jood I have just started using it - only had it for just over a month. It is more complex than Family Tree Maker - and more versatile - but you can just use the basics to start with and learn as you go along. The usergroup forum is very helpful and there are a number of FH users on FTF who could help/advise as well.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine is correct , I am a long time FH user having given up on Family Tree Maker back in 2004.
                                      Jane

Comment

Thanks Jane & Elaine, I'll give it a go with the 30 day trial.

Comment

Working...
                                        X