Search Sunderland Register Office for BMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Sunderland Register Office for BMD

I used to have a web page for Sunderland Council where you could search for old births, marriages and deaths. I don't have it anymore and the Council's web site is less than helpful in trying to find the page.

Does anyone please have a direct link to the page I am thinking about.

Thank you.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Is this the one Linda?
    Elaine

Comment

No Elaine it wasn't that one - they've changed it and its not nearly as good as it used to be.

You could search the indexes by year and I was able to find deaths in the index and it had a BOR (Book of Remembrance) button next to it. By clicking that you found the date of death whether your rellie was in the BOR or not. Unfortunately they've changed the website and you can't do that anymore.

I checked it with actual death certificates and it was always correct.
      Last edited by JBee; 09-08-14, 14:45.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Wonder where its gone???
        Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Sunderland Register Office has made birth (1837 to March 2007), marriage (1837 to 2010) and death (1837 to 1970,1985 to March 2007) indexes available at Request copies of birth, death and marriage certificates.

This is under the heading of Family History but when you go into the link it takes you to the one Elaine posted. I can't find an index. Tried to contact them to ask them where it was but couldn't move on to put my details in. Maybe its the weather.

It was a lovely site now I remember with the little button for the rememberance book. Be interesting to know what they are offering now and why they changed it. Not helping you at this time though Linda.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 09-08-14, 21:49.

Comment

It's just possible that they may have been required to remove the date look-up facility by the GRO. I remember that several years ago, the Isle of Wight Family History Society added the exact dates of all marriages to their online BMD index, only to have to remove them again several weeks later upon the insistence of the GRO. Apparently this detailed information fell outside the guidelines for what the GRO considered allowable in a public index, insisting that such info could only be provided via an official certificate (a cynic might think this had more to do with protecting their revenue stream than any real concern for data protection!). Anyway, the upshot of this was that to get an exact date of an event, it is necessary to purchase the certificate, unless you can find the info elsewhere, e.g. in parish registers etc.

Comment

Last time I did a look-up on the Sunderland RO site, it only had years, so that can't be the issue. You have always had to buy the certificate to get the exact date.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X