Help with Heywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Heywood

Does anyone know how to trace a missing person. born 28th February 1928 in Stockport, Cheshire, UK lost her job and started a new job in Scarborough. This is the last she was heard of. Her bank accounts haven't been touched and Social Security lost touch at the same time. Her brother is still living in Australia and it would be great to reunite these two people. One story has it that she may have joined a Convent but how do you go about finding her if that is the case.

I'm sorry Helen but I have had to edit out her name as we don't know whether she is deceased or not. We don't allow the names of people who are/or who may be still alive. If anyone would like to try and help they can Private Message you for the details.
    Last edited by JudithM; 08-08-14, 16:12.

Welcome to the boards.
    Sorry cant help but am sure someone will be able to.
    good luck
    Jan x

Comment

If you can PM me the details I can check current electoral registers in the UK for her.
      Margaret

Comment

from one who knows thru bitter experience : Heywood can be written as Haywood, Heyward, Heywood, Hayward, or even with the 'H' as an 'M'
        Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
          from one who knows thru bitter experience : Heywood can be written as Haywood, Heyward, Heywood, Hayward, or even with the 'H' as an 'M'

Thanks for looking at this. I am hoping because it is only going back to the 50's that sort of error hasn't occurred anywhere on this one.

Comment

Helen, I have seen you PM to me and will look but perhaps you can say what exactly you have done? eg have you searched marriages and deaths?
            Margaret

Comment

What names do you have for her parents? any siblings? The birth reg I found gives mother's maiden name as Booker - is that the right one?

You asked about Nuns being able to vote and I can't find anything that says they can't in terms of the law but I suppose a religious order might have its own rules about whether or not their members can vote.

Margaret

Comment

If SS have lost track of her then I would imagine she went into a closed order of nuns. Everyone else is required to make a tax return or pay an NHS contribution etc.

I am almost sure that I have seen somewhere that nuns could vote but of course it would be in their new religious name, not their old secular name.

OC

Comment

In terms of a person dying whilst in a Holy Order I guess they would be registered in their 'proper' name ie the one they were born by or chose to use for officialdom.

Do you have an address for where she was in the 1950's as you might be able to get a check of that address as to when she left.

I have looked at current Electoral registers back to 2003 and there is nothing obvious coming up except one that looks like a Nursing Home up to 2011 so I'll send the details by PM and maybe you could write and ask if it is the one you are seeking.

Margaret

Comment

Have checked all deaths for B* born on the date you gave and apart from the three sets of details I have given you via PM there is nothing else coming up.

I recall from my days in DSS that Nuns and the like did not pay NI etc as they were considered as supporting themselves and each other so they couldn't claim any benefits.

I agree with OC that sounds the most plausible reason for her disappearance unless the police have her noted as missing at the time.

Margaret

Comment

Oh, but I have just taken on oard that her bank accounts are untouched - that would be very odd if she went into a convent as she would normally give that money to the convent, not just leave it lying around. Was she ever reported missing to the police?

OC

Comment

This is just a thought BUT I believe the Salvation Army will search for people who have "gone missing" and have a lot of experience of doing so.
                        I do hope this lady is found.

Sue

Comment

I don't know whether the police would tell you, but I think my first reaction would be to ring the Scarborough police and ask if they can tell you whether they have a missing person of that name on file.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I wonder how anyone knows that the bank accounts have not been touched if the police were not involved - banks don't normally give any information to 3rd parties.
                            I also wonder how it is known that Social Security have lost touch - again they wouldn't discuss someone's records.
                            What they might do is forward a letter on if they have a current address - they used to do that but not sure if that's still the case.

Margaret

Comment

Heywood

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              I don't know whether the police would tell you, but I think my first reaction would be to ring the Scarborough police and ask if they can tell you whether they have a missing person of that name on file.
                              I've phoned a cremetorium in Scarborough and the nice lady there checked the records there are no "Jane Doe's" on their books going back over 100 years. Thanks for your help. I want to find this lady too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                This is just a thought BUT I believe the Salvation Army will search for people who have "gone missing" and have a lot of experience of doing so.
                                I do hope this lady is found.

Sue
                                Am waiting on some paper work from the Salvation Army. Only problem is they may not help as this lady is not linked directly to me. Will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Oh, but I have just taken on oard that her bank accounts are untouched - that would be very odd if she went into a convent as she would normally give that money to the convent, not just leave it lying around. Was she ever reported missing to the police?

OC
                                  I don't think so. It was always assumed that she was keeping in touch with another member of the family, and in turn that member of the family thought she was keeping in touch with someone else and so it went on until the penny dropped that no one had heard from her. By then the trail had gone cold. It was the 50's and no e-mail and fax etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Not sure how you would go about that sort of a conversation without them thinking they have a crank on the line. Am going to try the Salvation Army as they may be able to speak to the Police.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenTaylor1960 View Post
                                      Not sure how you would go about that sort of a conversation without them thinking they have a crank on the line. Am going to try the Salvation Army as they may be able to speak to the Police.
                                      I think if you explained what has happened and how you have come by the information about the bank account and Social Security they would take your report seriously especially if you said you wanted to make a report about a missing person as that is the only conclusion that can be drawn from what you have said.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                      X