Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

I'm really new to this site and already am asking for help.

I have traced the married transciption of my grandmother and grandfather and notice that the name of the bride's father and the name of the groom's father are the same.

Now, Do you think this is a mistake in the typing, or have I stumbled upon a skeleton in the cupboard.

Was my grandmother an adopted child perhaps, or perhaps she was a (as my mother would have said) a 'Took to' child, unofficially adopted and brought up in the family and then, when she
    grew up, my grandfather and she were married.

This is a real mystery as I can't find my grandmother's birth record either, only her name on a survey as living with my grandfather after they were married.

Any ideas as to what I can do, or any help offered will be very much appreciated.

Julia

if they are not alive you can put the details on here and somebody will help

Comment

Originally posted by Jurapow View Post
      I'm really new to this site and already am asking for help.

I have traced the married transciption of my grandmother and grandfather and notice that the name of the bride's father and the name of the groom's father are the same.

Now, Do you think this is a mistake in the typing, or have I stumbled upon a skeleton in the cupboard.

Was my grandmother an adopted child perhaps, or perhaps she was a (as my mother would have said) a 'Took to' child, unofficially adopted and brought up in the family and then, when she
      grew up, my grandfather and she were married.

This is a real mystery as I can't find my grandmother's birth record either, only her name on a survey as living with my grandfather after they were married.

Any ideas as to what I can do, or any help offered will be very much appreciated.

Julia
      They may have been cousins from sons of brothers who happened to be named the same. It happened a lot that names were repeated in families.

You need to investigate wider on the family and putting by their names and any other details you have on here we can help.

Margaret

Comment

Where have you found a transcription of the marriage?

OC

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I found the transcript of the marriage on Findmypast. That is the only site I have used so far.

The marriage on 2nd March 1896 was between John Burgess DOB 1870 and Emily Vaughan, who's age was given at the time of the marriage to be 23, which would make her DOB 1873 approx. On a census form, Emily was born in Pembrokeshire.
          They were married in the parish of Trevethin Monmouthshire Wales. As I have stated, the bride's name and the groom's name were both shown as Joseph Burgess, which is John Burgess's father.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Julia

Comment

I have viewed the entry on FMP and unfortunately there is no image.

I would be inclined to think it is a mis-transcription as Emily's surname was Vaughan and I couldn't find a prior marriage for an Emily Burgess.

I couldn't find an appropriate baptism in either Pembrokeshire or Monmouth for Emily, using both surnames.
            However, I found the following, which is worth bearing in mind:

EMILY VAUGHAN
            Born 17 Sep 1871
            Baptised 15 Oct 1871
            Baptism day 15
            TREVETHIN
            Mother's first name(s) Jane
            Father's first name(s) William
            County Monmouthshire
            Country Wales
            Page 636
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

As it is a transcription of a transcription (!) I would imagine it is simply a clerical error somewhre along the line. I have a cert in my possession where the fathers of the bride and groom have been transposed. A look at the original parish register showed the fathers the correct way round although I already knew what had happened.

You could buy a copy of the marriage cert from the local Register Office, or you could hunt down the church records to find out what was originally said.

OC

Comment

The marriage is on freereg

County Monmouthshire
                Place Trevethin
                Church Parish Church
                Marriage Date 02 Mar 1896
                Groom Forename John
                Groom Surname BURGESS OTP
                Groom Age 26
                Groom Condition Bachelor
                Groom Occupation Collier
                Bride Forename Emily
                Bride Surname VAUGHAN OTP
                Bride Age 23 Spinster
                Groom Father Joseph BURGESS
                Groom Father Occupation Collier
                Bride Father William VAUGHAN
                Bride Father Occupation Publican
                Witnesses William VAUGHAN Susannah CAWAN
                Last edited by Elaine; 07-08-14, 22:20.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Oh, well done Elaine. Mystery solved!

OC

Comment

Really must use freereg more than I do, it was just a chance look
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Could this be Emily in 1891:

Mill Road, Trevethin
                      Laban Vaughan Head Single 26 Inkeeper Born Pontypool
                      Emily Vaughan Sister Single 19 Born Pontypool
                      Series RG12
                      Piece number 4361
                      Folio number 15
                      Page 24
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So this one in 1871:

10, Mill Road, Trevethin with Pontypool, Monmouthshire
                        William Vaughan Head Married Male 50 Fireman At Tin Works Panteg
                        Jane Vaughan Wife Married Female 46 - Usk, Monmouthshire
                        Laban Vaughan Son Single Male 16 Catcher At Rolls Tin Works Pontypool, Monmouthshire
                        William Vaughan Son Single Male 11 Scholar Pontypool, Monmouthshire
                        Emily Vaughan Daughter Single Female 9 Scholar Pontypool, Monmouthshire
                        Elijah Gould Or Goned Lodger Single Male 55 General Labourer Pontypool, Monmouthshire
                        Owen Evans Lodger Widower Male 33 Tailor Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, Wales
                        William Evans Lodger Single Male 7 Scholar Panteg
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 08-08-14, 07:35.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Sorry - that should be 1881.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

William is a railway guard aged 40 with Jane (wife) and children Alice J (12), Laban (6) and William (1).

Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

In 1881 William Vaughan is stated as being born in Panteg (Panteague), so this could be him with his family before he married:

1861 Census
                              Blaendare, Panteague, Pontypool
                              William Vaughan Head Married Male 59 Labourer At Iron Work Panteague, Monmouthshire
                              Martha Vaughan Wife Married Female 54 - Panteague, Monmouthshire
                              William Vaughan Son Unmarried Male 28 Labourer At Iron Work Panteague, Monmouthshire
                              George Vaughan Son Unmarried Male 18 Labourer At Iron Work Panteague, Monmouthshire

Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 08-08-14, 08:20.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Returning to Emily, if you wanted to order her birth certificate these are the details:

First name(s) EMILY
                                Last name VAUGHAN
                                Birth year 1871
                                Birth quarter 4
                                Registration month -
                                Mother's last name -
                                District PONTYPOOL
                                County Monmouthshire
                                Country Wales
                                Volume 11A
                                Page 133
                                Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006
                                Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
                                Record collection Births & baptisms
                                Collections from Great Britain

I note from the father's details on the marriage that he is given as a Publican. The only similar occupation I could find was for Laban, her brother, who was an Innkeeper.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

I'm very sorry if I caused a confusion. The last sentence should read - the bride' father's name and the groom's father's name were both shown as Joseph Burgess, which was the groom's father.

Comment

Thank you all so very much for your help especially Elizabeth. I think you have hit on the right one and I will do a lot more research.
                                    I also realise that I need to explore other sites as well as findmypast.
                                    Can anyone recommend which is the best?

Julia

Comment

First piece of advice, Julia, is to buy all the certificates you can afford for your direct ancestors, then work backwards.
                                      I have gone back quite a way, but please don't assume it is correct until you have purchased the relevant certificates and have proved to your satisfaction they are the correct people.

Family Search is free, and I found this on there:
                                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Non-conformist records are a minefield, and Wales, of course, had many chapel-goers, so bear this in mind.

Please post any more queries you may have. We do like a challenge!
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Jurapow View Post
                                        Thank you all so very much for your help especially Elizabeth. I think you have hit on the right one and I will do a lot more research.
                                        I also realise that I need to explore other sites as well as findmypast.
                                        Can anyone recommend which is the best?

Julia
                                        Another subscription site that many of us on here use in www.ancestry.co.uk who have many of the same records as FMP but also some different records.
                                        Please do post your queries on here if you wish and we will be pleased to help.
                                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X