Lives of the First World War query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lives of the First World War query

I am starting this query off with a double Grr!!!

This forum is great with information on deals etc.

When the thread started about FMP users receiving a code for a year's subscription to LOTFWW, I immediately emailed FMP about why I did't get one. The answer was my sub is with FMP.com so I did not qualify.

Then there was the thread about renewing. Again, because I am with FMP.com it didn't apply to me.

I have now unticked automatic renewal, and will waiting a few days before signing up with FMP.uk. Hopefully I will be able to take part in some of these offers !

Instead of doing worldwide with FMP, I shall just sign up for the UK records. I have worldwide with ancestry. My thought is then to get a sub with LOTFWW.

My query is anyone doing more than remembering their soldiers ? Are you having problems with the site - ie not being to download records as the little circle icon just keeps going on and on - like the Energizer Bunny !

I have remembered seven of nine - just waiting for for my Great Uncle and my Great Grandfather.

Would love to hear how you are all getting on,

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Yes, the site is VERY slow when trying to look at images, rather than a transcription. I tried having a second window open, so that I could use that for viewing images, in addition to the window where I was trying to add facts. It was still very slow, but I tried clicking on "download" and that seemed to bring up the image.
    The Commonwealth War Grave Commission site is also very slow - everything is taking a bit of a pasting.

You do NOT need to take out a sub for LOTFWW IF you have access to the FMP records. Whilst you can't access the records on the site, you click on "add external link" and then enter the link for the FMP record page (or link for Ancestry, CWGC etc.) The only thing that you can't do without membership is to create and manage "a community." I could do with making 3 communities to group my men, but I'm not sure that I would want to pay in future years.

Having read some of the discussion on LOTFWW, it seems that during the first week, some people were wanting to pay £6.00 for a month's sub. There was a glitch, and their credit cards were debited £600 (note decimal point position!!) It was eventually put right, but has put me off making a payment.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have taken advantage of the cheap FMP offer and with it have now got one year free to the IWM and lives of the First w war. You can access the site for free and can remember people but to get them into your Community where you are managing the people concerned, you do have to have a sub. I have remembered 4 on there and have put some stories and even changed some oficial details like date of birth on the Canadian Expeditionary force attestation paper, as I have birth cert showing he was under age joining up.

The site is slow at present and I made a few mistakes to begin with, but have now just about got the hang of the site. It is good to belong to though what I will do next year I am not sure as it is £50 for the year and if I decide not to renew then what will happen to my managed communities??

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 06-08-14, 16:41.

Comment

Hi Jay and Janet,

Thank you for the responses. I imagine the site being new is a little overwhelmed due to people starting to add to it.

I think I will hold for a few more days, get my information together and then make a stab at it.

Hopefully it will get faster sooner than later.

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Have just typed a reply to this thread - am signed in and computer seems OK but got the following notice:

Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Did I do something wrong?

Other than E-mail I am not logged into anything else ????

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 07-08-14, 12:07.

Comment

Sue - it could be an internet hiccup at your end or maybe at this end that coincided with you posting. Since you've just posted, clearly all is fine now.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

bcbrit,

I too am with FMP.com. I received an email on Jul 2 offering a free sub. to LOTFWW. The access code had to be used in 14 days. Unfortunately I somehow missed the email & have only just found it. I emailed FMP asking if a new access code might be available & had an almost immediate reply to say a year's subscription had been added & it has.
              Glen

Comment

Very envious - I contacted FMP over two weeks ago - still awaiting a reply!

Comment

I would contact them again (tell them you've already been in touch) - over the last 2 years I've had two instances of mails not getting through to them. They claim to respond within a couple of days.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My first email about LOTFWW went unanswered. After five days I then sent them another which is when I was told I didn't qualify.

My third email about the cheaper renewal came back in two days,and I didn't qualify again.

I have given up on them. I will sign up with FMP.uk and only for the English records.

Maybe they will be less disagreeable !

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
                    X