From FTM to FH - How please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From FTM to FH - How please?

For a while I used Family Historian 4.1 and still have it on my computer. I recently bought Family Tree Maker 2014 (for the six months free subscription to Anc. World). I managed to transfer my data from FH to FTM 2014. Can't remember how. Think it was with the help of this Forum.

I would now like to update the data I have on Family Historian 4.1. Is there a way of transferring the content of FTM to FH.

Your help and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you..
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Been bouncing around various help pages. Wondering if I should create a brand new project in FH for the transfer then delete old project. Heavy going this.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Have ordered the upgrade CD to FH5. So won't do anything until disc arrives and I've upgraded FH4.1.3. Think it will be best to start a whole new project and import the whole file from FTM2014. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Everything backed up to the hilt.
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Hi, Linda -
        FH's user group are an excellent resource and very willing to help.

Yes, I think I'd go with a new project - I'd also suggest a dry run with your existing 4.1. When I transferred a gedcom from Ancestry Family Trees, I disliked the source records. You might take a peek at how the data looks just with 4.1.

sarah

Comment

Linda

There are instructions here:

which explain the steps to take to import date from FTM to FH. If you are not already a member then I suggest that you join FHUG before doing anything else. Then if you come up against a problem you can immediately post a queston. My experience with FHUG is that someone (probably several people) will try to answer your queries.

David
          Last edited by DavidNewton; 05-08-14, 18:00.

Comment

Thank you Sarah and David for responding. Shall give the dry run a go tomorrow. I've joined the FHUG forum. Masses of information to absorb. Feel sure it will keep me occupied for weeks. Also sent for the book Getting the Best of FH.

Shall let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Linda, don't be overawed by all the features of FH, you don't need to use them all to start with! Also I would very much recommend working through the sample Peabody family. I know it seems boring when you want to get on with your own people but it really is worth it. Then you can start on your own, new project fully equiped. I would welcome the chance to review your previous resaerch. I always seem to find things I've missed when I do that! Good luck!
              Anne

Comment

Hi Linda, I see you have had all the details I was going to leave you, so I will just include one suggestion for anyone getting FTM for the Ancestry subscription. It's worth remembering that you don't actually need to use it, just install it to activate your Ancestry and then ignore it. You can do your searching and it's worth doing as FTM does not (as far as I remember) export source records with the Source images attached, but just links back to Ancestry.
                Last edited by jtaubman; 06-08-14, 07:05.
                Jane
                Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Good Morning, Well I managed to export a copy of one of my trees and its sitting there on my desktop. When I click on the icon the file opens in FH but the media although listed without values does not appear. I have a lengthy exception report in Notepad which appears to refer to all my media. I've looked on FHUG forum and someone on there has a similar problem but he is using FH5 (I am still on 4.1).

Although the file opens with FH it isn't in the list of projects. Take it that it will mean saving in FH. Off to do some more research on FHUG. Would welcome any suggestions. Will keep you posted.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Right I've managed to import the new tree/project into FH and it shows up in the list of projects, but without any media. Off to see what else I can find.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Hmmm, not sure if I understand your comment, but -
                      I don't think FTM exports the actual media? Can someone confirm that? In FH, you can see the link to the media file - is it set to your media file?

Comment

Linda has moved her query to FHUG and is just waiting on her FH5 to arrive, Later versions of FTM do export images for people. but not for attached images for sources linked directly from Ancestry, as far as I understand, and the latest version of FH can pick them up and import them.
                        Jane
                        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Good morning, upgrade disc to FH5 came this morning. Installed and updated to FH 5.0.9. Started from scratch to export from FTM to FH and all went well. Media and everything now installed on FH.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
                          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Just been reading through postings. Should explain that I have never uploaded my tree to Ancestry so they don't come into the picture as far as links are concerned. Mu media photos have come over. Except a couple which I shall have to find out what they were. Don't you just love computers and software.
                            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Great result, well done! Enjoy FH!
                              Anne

Comment

Working...
                              X