Would anybody know who was the first soldier to die in the 2nd World War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anybody know who was the first soldier to die in the 2nd World War

My Uncle died on the 4th September 1939 I understood the War started on the 3rd September , although he did not die by enemy fighting, he got thrown from the Truck that was carrying his Platoon in Hong Kong.
    I often think how sad it was he was so determined to fight for his country yet got killed before he could.

Val,
    The earliest soldier that I could find was Corporal Thomas W Priday of the KSLI who was KIA 9 December 1939. Whilst this is just over three months from the declaration of war
    in September, as far as I can ascertain there was no ground action involving troops prior to this. In reality there would have been naval casualities and certainly RAF casualities long
    before this date.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I think the circumstances may hold the clue - Val's uncle died because of war (if there hadn't been a war, he wouldn't have been undertaking that journey and wouldn't have had the accident) whilst the man David quoted was kia.
      i.e definition of terms.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Grumpy, and Janet yes thats true he would not have been in Hong Kong thats for sure, his story is quite unusual I have two scrolls of honour for him, one under the name Private C H Miller the under under Private Charles Stevens , and both surnames on his Headstone ,as he enlisted under an assumed name , I have the photos from his State funeral too ,very moving.

Comment

Working...
        X