Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. George's Road in Wimbledon

Hi,

I am looking for information on people living in St. George's Road, Wimbledon, in the censuses of 1861 and 1871. Especially house number 10 has my attention, but I'm also interested in the social background of the neighbors.

Any help on the history of that road is also interesting. At the time Wimbledon was rapidly expanding due to the direct railway connection with London.

Thanks a lot!!

Hans

St George’s Road, Wimbledon does not exist on the 1850 Town Plan for London.
    On the 1874 ordnance survey map, two pairs of semi-detached houses are shown on the NW side, and one pair on the SE side. The next map (1896) shows the road fully developed.

In the 1871 census the following are listed under St George’s Road. Some of the houses are numbered, and some are clearly in the process of being built. The numbers below in brackets are my suggestion of the missing numbers.

16 Mary Littlejohn laundress
    [14 &12?} - 2 unoccupied
    [10?] Edward Guillaume solicitor
    8 John Biddles solicitor
    4 & 6 - 2 unoccupied
    2 - Ann Fidler interest money
    1 & 3 - 2 unoccupied
    Class: RG10; Piece: 857; Folio: 28; Page: 50;

Haven’t looked in 1861 yet.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
      St George’s Road, Wimbledon does not exist on the 1850 Town Plan for London.
      On the 1874 ordnance survey map, two pairs of semi-detached houses are shown on the NW side, and one pair on the SE side. The next map (1896) shows the road fully developed.
      The OS map was published in 1874 but the survey for this was taken in 1865. As there were only 6 houses at that time it is unlikely a No10 existed in 1961. I have checked the 1861 census tho' and cannot find St Georges Road.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi all,

I found some new traces but, as I don't live in England, I'd like to ask if someone could help me with checking 2 directories. These are:

(1) Post Office Directory of Surrey 1866
        (2) Post Office London suburban directory 1868

Both should contain a reference to the St. George's Road in Wimbledon. Scans or photographs would be wonderful...

Many thanks in advance,
        Hans

Comment

Originally posted by HansR View Post
          Hi all,

I found some new traces but, as I don't live in England, I'd like to ask if someone could help me with checking 2 directories. These are:

(1) Post Office Directory of Surrey 1866
          (2) Post Office London suburban directory 1868

Both should contain a reference to the St. George's Road in Wimbledon. Scans or photographs would be wonderful...

Many thanks in advance,
          Hans
          You'll want to be careful not to breach any T&Cs in fulfilling this request. Some sources of images have quite stringent rules about sharing teh results because that's how they get the revenue to fund the image-making.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi,

A bit curious, as these books are now completely free from copyright. Several of these directories have also been digitized.

Anyway, I am in need of the names of the people living in that street, so any help on this would be much welcomed.

Hans

Comment

Historical directories including Post Office directories - http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/c...on/p16445coll4

These cannot now be directly accessed - you will need to create an account.
              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by HansR View Post
                Hi,

A bit curious, as these books are now completely free from copyright. Several of these directories have also been digitized.

Anyway, I am in need of the names of the people living in that street, so any help on this would be much welcomed.

Hans
                The books may be out of copyright, but the use of the images created from those books is (very reasonably) under the control of the people who have spent time and money creating them. Some of the equipment necessary for getting high quality images from old books, without damaging the originals, can be quite expensive, I believe. You can pay a relatively small sum to gain access to the images from anywhere in the world, or you can pay travel costs to get to and from the places where the original out-of-copyright documents are available. "Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!", as they say.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You are correct, but, as far as I know there have been made no images of the two directories mentioned above. Hence my request for aid :-).

Comment

By googling:

Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1866. (518 pages) at :http://doc.ukdataservice.ac.uk/doc/5...nformation.htm
                    Scroll down the page and you will see they have this and you can view it online as I said before. You just need to register.

For the Post Office London suburban directory- 1868 you can order the film from https://familysearch.org/search/cata...tory%20Library You can then view it at your local LDS centre.
                    Kat

Comment

Hi,

It is Surrey 1866 I am looking for, not Sussex.

Thanks!

Comment

oops! Well at least you can order the film.
                        Kat

Comment

I am not sure the 1866 PO directory for Surrey exists, because when I googled it, I was directed to 1866 SUSSEX - is that what happened to you, Kat?

OC

Comment

Yes and unfortunately never checked it! I cannot find one for 1866 either.
                            HansR - Quote "I found some new traces" -Post #4 -Would be interested where he saw the reference to it.
                            Kat

Comment

I got the hint from the Wimbledon Museum.

Comment

Ah, there is a PO directory (Kellys) for 1867, (not 66) Surrey, but it appears to list only trades, not private households.

It is available from Genfair, Archive CDs.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X