Family Tree Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Software

I'm having trouble finding a programme that will print the whole tree, not sections like Ancestry. Family Historian has one but it has all kinds of coloured curves and lines that confuse the reader, ie......me!
    Any suggestions please?

I'm thinking you might get more help with this query Alan if I move it to the dedicated Family Tree Software section.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 02-08-14, 09:26.

Most family tree programs will do this, I use Brothers Keeper.
    The drawback in using most if not all programs is the size of the output chart.
    For most people using an A4 printer a pedigree going back a number of generations will be printed on multiple pages not simply one.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

That's my problem Guy. No one seems to print a whole tree....4 or 5 generations perhaps......I don't mind a whole tree printed on multiple pages. Ancestry is rubbish for me.
      I will have a look at Brother's Keeper, thanks.

Comment

Family Historian will print a tree which is as many generations and pages as you want to have.

You can customise the look of it as you wish by using the Diagram Options > Text schemes.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

You can also adjust the scale and paper joins with Family Historian and therefore fit it onto a lot less pages. However any big tree is going to use a lot. I once did one for all the descendants of a couple who married in 1780. When joined together it was over 7 metres long but I did manage to keep it down to just two sheets deep. As Caroline says you can customise how FH displays the tree.
          Anne

Comment

I note what you say Caroline and Anne. I don't have a lot of patience with software programmes............the Family Historian isn't OAP user friendly.

Comment

I suspect you started with the Everyone tree, which uses lots of separate descendant trees joined together, I recommend trying the All relations diagram as a start, this will show all the relations of a single person or a couple and is a great start point, you will only get curved lines (which can be turned off using the Diagram options for duplicates), if you have cousins marrying, who therefore should appear in multiple places in the diagram. If you then have a few "peripheral families you can add extra trees to your chart. Personally I don't try to have everyone on a single chart, it's not practical, my paternal grandmothers tree, just an all relations one, was 4m x 2m when I printed it for a get together and that was quite big enough to handle. Admittedly she was one of 14 children and her mother was one of 12.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Alan, I'm an OAP to! The Family Historian program is very powerful but you don't need to use all the features to start with.
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                  I note what you say Caroline and Anne. I don't have a lot of patience with software programmes............the Family Historian isn't OAP user friendly.
                  I've tried the rest and Family Historian is the BEST!
                  From an OAP.
                  Last edited by Old Holborn; 03-08-14, 09:17.
                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

Thank you Jane, Anne and the lady from Hastings Area.
                    Jane; Yes, I did start with Everyone but I'll take lessons from you.
                    Anne and Old Holborn (isn't that a Pipe Tobacco?)...you're putting this OAP to shame......gonna have to grovel to Jane

Comment

and the lady from Hastings Area.
                      If that's me, I'm at the other end of Sussex ... but ..... I'm an OAP as well!! (thought to be fair, I wasn't when I first started using FH and I was latterly an IT teacher.)

If you have a go with experimenting, then I am sure that between us we can help out.
                      Caroline
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Well Caroline, since you're sitting there drinking white wine......................I might take you up on your offer to help but I will experiment and curse first.

Comment

Well Caroline, since you're sitting there drinking white wine......................I might take you up on your offer to help but I will experiment and curse first.
                          OK, will try to help out when needed - you may not get an immediate response, as I am currently upgrading/rebuilding the FTF magazine...
                          Caroline

Comment

Working...
                          X