The new Chapman/Thomas mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Chapman/Thomas mystery

Hi guys, I've been fine-tuning the Thomas side as I've found a lot more info thanks to the library, anyway I've just spotted a marriage in the England Marriage 1538-1973 collection on Ancestry, I've also found it on Family Search so that I could look at it better and I'm completely puzzled.

The marriage is for Alfred Chapman who's step father is Evan Thomas, so why on earth would Evan's name have been noted as Chapman? All the other details are correct apart from that bit, mind you we never did find the marriage of Evan to Alfred's mother Mary Chapman, according to one tree they married in 1870, Stockton-On-Tees but it didn't have a source so I'm not taking it as being reliable.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

If Alfred was asked "What is/was the name of your father?" and he responded "Evan," the inquirer may have assumed that Alfred and his "father" shared the same surname and that the father was Evan Chapman.

I think apparent "errors" may often have been a result of the actual wording of a question.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 31-07-14, 21:30.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I wonder if they did it that way so that he wouldn't be classed as a "B...D" child?

P.S. I've just found his brother Jacob's great Grandchild on a Stockton History FB Page when I accidently posted 2 pictures of her Granddad, luckily though she is ecstatic due to never seeing them before.
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
      X