X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant!

Janet

Comment

Available WITHIN the next two years and only those born pre 1914 :( - it's those born 1915 onwards that I'd love to know about; the addresses of where some of my aunts worked and the names of their employers, how many living-in staff there were at the village farms.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        Available WITHIN the next two years and only those born pre 1914 :( - it's those born 1915 onwards that I'd love to know about; the addresses of where some of my aunts worked and the names of their employers, how many living-in staff there were at the village farms.

Jay
        I think that this 1939 Register will be available for all those who have died, never mind the date of birth, at least that is what the original register is at a cost of £42. So I will be redacted but I am sure my dead brother will be on there.. Hopefully I will find where we were living at that time and catch other people as well.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 29-07-14, 21:44.

Comment

[I]"For privacy reasons, information about living people will be kept closed for 100 years from their year of birth, or until proof of death has been confirmed."[/I] taken from the article.

Perhaps I'm being thick, but unless a team search through the death index, (and it would have to be current i.e. 2014, and international) how will the site owners know who's details should not be released? If they allow access to the details of living people, this would be contrary to the above statement, which could place them in legal wrangles and would also destroy their credibility.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-07-14, 00:53.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

[I]"For privacy reasons, information about living people will be kept closed for 100 years from their year of birth, or until proof of death has been confirmed."[/I] taken from the article.

Perhaps I'm being thick, but unless a team search through the death index, (and it would have to be current i.e. 2014, and international) how will the site owners know who's details should not be released? If they allow access to the details of living people, this would be contrary to the above statement, which could place them in legal wrangles and would also destroy their credibility.

Jay
            I'd guess that it will be up to the applicant to find and provide the death certificate.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Jay
              Yes I hear what you are saying but the register as it stands is available to anybody willing to pay £42 so the same rules will apply. For example I want to know the address we lived at in Plymouth in 1939 so my parents will be there as they are both born before 1915 but the children will not be there as we were all born after 1915 but I am not that concerned as the address of the older people will be what I want. I do have my brother's death cert though to be honest as the address will be the same or with grandmother then I am not that concerned. Well I am certainly looking forward to it as it will confirm some addresses of those people living in Plymouth pre blitz which I have been unable to find. I am sure other people from other blitzed cities will welcome this addition to FMP.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                Yes I hear what you are saying but the register as it stands is available to anybody willing to pay £42 so the same rules will apply. For example I want to know the address we lived at in Plymouth in 1939 so my parents will be there as they are both born before 1915 but the children will not be there as we were all born after 1915 but I am not that concerned as the address of the older people will be what I want. I do have my brother's death cert though to be honest as the address will be the same or with grandmother then I am not that concerned. Well I am certainly looking forward to it as it will confirm some addresses of those people living in Plymouth pre blitz which I have been unable to find. I am sure other people from other blitzed cities will welcome this addition to FMP.
                Janet
                I know that there is no change from the current situation for those wishing to pay the £42, as long as they can prove with certificates that an individual is deceased.
                I was attempting to point out the small print to those assuming it will be like the release of a census, where the details of EVERYONE will be released, and FREE as part of the FMP package.
                On another thread on this forum, searching the register was being suggested as one way of tracking someone with a very common name, born in 1920. I am simply trying to advise people that because of the age restriction, a search may not be as straightforward as they think, from a financial point of view.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-07-14, 09:10.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

To be honest I don't think you will find the information on the 1939 register anything like the information on any of the other census so I do not think you will find employers etc. It really is, as I understand, just a list of people who are alive at certain addresses in 1939 who are going to be eligible to have a ration book, identity card and nothing more than that, but very useful for people who were displaced during the war or whose homes were blitzed during the blitzes on the cities. So a very useful guide for genealogists for that reason. It is mainly the address that people will be interested to research this 1939 register and as little else is on there it may be of little help to people anyway, which was one of the reasons why I was noncommittal about it when it first appeared. It might help my village survey provided I know the names of the people living there at that time but I am not expecting to know where they will be working because I am sure that detail is not on this 1939 register.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 30-07-14, 09:48.

Comment

I think it will just be a list of everyone living at the same address on a certain date in 1939.

Numbers were allocated by Head of the househouse, then spouse, followed by children in age order.

As the ID Number became your NHS number I was able to use Traceline (now defunct) to find that someone was still alive and where they were living.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Taken from the FMP site this is what you can expect from the 1939 register;

"The register was taken on 29 September 1939 to create a record of the entire civilian population at the outbreak of the Second World War. Used to issue ration books and identity cards, it noted each individual’s full name, address, date of birth, sex, occupation, as well as any changes of name. For privacy reasons, information about living people will be kept closed for 100 years from their year of birth, or until proof of death has been confirmed."

So anybody looking for service personnel will no doubt have been redacted!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        Taken from the FMP site this is what you can expect from the 1939 register;

"The register was taken on 29 September 1939 to create a record of the entire civilian population at the outbreak of the Second World War. Used to issue ration books and identity cards, it noted each individual’s full name, address, date of birth, sex, occupation, as well as any changes of name. For privacy reasons, information about living people will be kept closed for 100 years from their year of birth, or until proof of death has been confirmed."

So anybody looking for service personnel will no doubt have been redacted!

Janet
                        The register may though include those that later joined up for the military, not sure how quickly people went to enrol or even when conscription started.

Margaret

Comment

On another thread on this forum, searching the register was being suggested as one way of tracking someone with a very common name, born in 1920. I am simply trying to advise people that because of the age restriction, a search may not be as straightforward as they think, from a financial point of view.

Jay

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                          I think it will just be a list of everyone living at the same address on a certain date in 1939.

Numbers were allocated by Head of the househouse, then spouse, followed by children in age order.

As the ID Number became your NHS number I was able to use Traceline (now defunct) to find that someone was still alive and where they were living.
                          I suggested that this register might be useful on another thread but with the hope in mind that there would be a list of other people at a known address- it may prove fruitless but at least it's another avenue searched and closed.

It may in fact only be an alphabetical list with no linking of people at a specific address so no use at all for this purpose.

Margaret

Comment

The 1939 National Registration does not contain private sensitive material.
                            It contains

1. Names.
                            2. Sex.
                            3. Age.
                            4. Occupation, profession, trade or employment.
                            5. Residence.
                            6. Condition as to marriage.
                            7. Membership of Naval, Military or Air Force Reserves or Auxiliary Forces or of Civil Defence Services or Reserves.

Cheers
                            Guy
                            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                              The 1939 National Registration does not contain private sensitive material.
                              It contains

1. Names.
                              2. Sex.
                              3. Age.
                              4. Occupation, profession, trade or employment.
                              5. Residence.
                              6. Condition as to marriage.
                              7. Membership of Naval, Military or Air Force Reserves or Auxiliary Forces or of Civil Defence Services or Reserves.

Cheers
                              Guy
                              Condition as to marriage may be considered by some as private and sensitive.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                Condition as to marriage may be considered by some as private and sensitive.

Margaret
                                Surely not if those people are no longer alive??

Janet

Comment

Marriage is an event which is in the public domain so is not legally considered sensitive information (except maybe by those pretending to be married who weren't!).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Marriage is an event which is in the public domain so is not legally considered sensitive information (except maybe by those pretending to be married who weren't!).

OC
                                    That's what I meant so it signals to some descendants that they were not legitimate! The fact that marriage is in the public domain does not mean that you know for sure if your family members are married unless you look them up.

I used to work for Social Security and the number of times I went to interview a 'widow' with one of her adult children present who did not disclose until the 'child' was despatched to make tea that there had been no marriage and could I keep it quiet!!

Margaret
                                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 31-07-14, 13:31.

Comment

At the moment you have to give the address you want to search - does this mean there's going to be a name index to search and then find the address?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Whilst I personally cannot understand the reason for the 100 year rule being applied, I was reporting what was stated in the article (linked in post 1.) IF the statement is correct, then details of those born less than 100 years ago will not be released automatically.
                                        I find this rather strange when some much more recent head counts (electoral rolls) are online, detailing names of all adults living at an address. Some of my contemporaries find this very disconcerting.
                                        However, neither decision was made by me! Double standards comes to mind. What will be will be; print and be damned/print not and be damned it would seem.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X