National Archives....is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives....is it just me?

I'm wondering if I am alone in finding the NA website difficult to get around. I don't find it clear at all.

Are there actually search functions similar to FMP or Ancestry or is it simply an information sitefor where to find information??

(Frustrated) Amanda
    Last edited by Guest; 29-07-14, 13:13.

Amanda

Over the years the appearance of the TNA site has changed but I think the main search function is much the same. You need to go to the Discover our Collections page

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

There are a confusingly large number of options and you may see what yopu need, However, if you are looking for someone or something in particular I suggest pressing the Advanced Search button which takes you to this page

and from there you should be able to choose appropriate options and search. I do have to say one thing the results are basically an index to the information so may not give you enough. But they are a starting point.

David

Comment

I have the same trouble Amanda

Comment

I find it very confusing! There are records about individuals on there but they are hard to find.

Margaret

Comment

Search for names by going to Advanced search, then put the name into the exact word or phrase box. if you know the sort of record you want to search for - eg Army , use WO, Royal Navy, use ADM, Naturalisation, use HO etc in the "Enter a reference" box .You can get the relevant file "codes" from the Research Guides on the site, so you can search a particular ref, such as WO339 for Army Officers WW1 service records, for example. You can also search by entering a more refined search in the "all of these words" box, so, for example, to find a naturalisation record for a Joe Bloggs born Russia, enter Joe Bloggs AND Russia in the "all of these words " box and enter HO in the "Enter a reference box"
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Will give a try, thanks all.

Amanda

Comment

The significant difference between searching on the TNA system ,and using Ancestry and FMP is that with the TNA you are searching a vast catalogue of documents they hold , most of which have not been indexed to show individual names like census records or parish registers have been on one of the other sites. So although there are plenty of records that you may find when searching on a name on the TNA system, like wills or naturalisation papers, there are many others that will not come up on a search even though the person you are looking for might be named in the document somewhere.

It is more about identifying the specific documents you want to examine and then downloading them (if they have been digitised), or visiting Kew and going through them.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 30-07-14, 19:27.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, AntonyM

Comment

Working...
                X