Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensland help required

Ernest NIBLETT b 1909 Burton upon Trent, England
    Emigrated Australia from Liverpool aboard the Themistocles July1927 to Brisbane
    Enlisted Australian Army (2/5 ARMOURED REGIMENT) July 1940 and discharged Jan 1945 - Next of kin given as Ivy Niblett

I would like to know more about this man's life in Australia, and would be most grateful for any help

Thank you

Ernest Biblett was born 4 Feb 1909 in Burton-on-Trent and enlisted in the AIF and given the serial number QX11323. He enlisted in Townsville which I think is probably

where he lived during his pre war time in Australia.

Unfortunately his service records are still not released unless a copy is requested from the Australian National Archives, so there is not much more information I can

give you at this time.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

According to the Queensland BMD - links here: http://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-dea...tory-research/
      Ernest NIBLETT married Ivy May BALDOCK in 1938 registration #C2486.

A search of the TROVE website http://trove.nla.gov.au/ (click on the "Digitised Newspapers" link & select "Queensland" then "Townsville Daily Bulletin" then enter "Niblett" into the search box) has 2 articles which relate to his wife.

1. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...its=l-title=97 under the "Social - Gossip" section "Mrs E. Niblett of Ingham" and

2. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...its=l-title=97 under the "Public Notices" section in the far right column about halfway down, she is living in Hermit Park, Townsville.

Couldn't seem to find anything on Ernest though.

Comment

Ernest Niblett
        Died 9/10/1991
        Aged 82 yrs
        Buried at Mt Thompson Memorial Gardens
        Queensland
        He married in 1938. Wont post wifes name as she could still be alive.

Comment

Mt Thompson is the crematorium in Brisbane so they must have moved down from Townsville or Ingham. If you want a photo of the plaque (if there is one) I'm happy to get one next time I'm there. My father is there as well.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies so far

Hi Vivian, it's interesting that he isn't mentioned in either clip especially the 2nd one about the house sale.

Nifty Sue, that's great for the death date it was something I was looking for

Harrys Mum Libby, if you could do that it would be wonderful but there is no rush, just whenever you're there next.

:o

Would it be possible to find out if there were any children from this marriage, thank you again?
            Last edited by David of Doncaster; 30-07-14, 00:16.

Comment

If you have access to Ancestry he and Ivy are on a number of electoral rolls -

Ernest - 1937 - Townsville
              Ivy - 1936 and 1937 - Townsville
              Both - 1943 - Ingham
              Both - 1949 - Townsville
              Both - 1954 - Cape York
              Ernest - 1958 - Cape York
              Ivy - 1958 - Townsville
              Ernest - 1963 - Cape York
              Ivy - 1963 - Townsville
              Both - 1968 and 1972 - Townsville
              Both - 1977 and 1980 - Norman Park, Brisbane

There are entries for 2 other people with same surname who may well have been children - but birth records for Qld are not officially available to search online after 1914 - BUT putting Ivy's birth name in a search with the parameters 1900-1914 does bring up an entry for 1915

An image of this likely birth registration is available to buy for $20 from the Qld BDM's

Comment

I found one boy who could well be a son. He is in the right age group in Townsville at the right time. Strangely I found someone I used to work with as well....

Comment

David.......I am hoping to get to Mt Thompson this Sunday (barring rain etc).

This has just come online I believe.......I actually found my father had a plaque at Mt Thompson.....I was always told he didn't have one.

Anyway...there are 3 Nibletts.

Comment

Hope David sees this Libby - in the meantime thanks for such a great resource - have also found some Houghton memorials there - a cousin of my mother who migrated from England in 1914 and his wife and descendents - have wondered for a while where they had ended up - lived in Wynnum

Comment

Sue...if you want any photos, haven't been yet. A tad wet up here...lol

I will go as soon as I can as I really want to see my father's plaque. I've never seen it. Always told there wasn't one and believed it....

Comment

Thanks for the offer Libby - I found the photos on the site were quite OK for my use - they weren't people I knew at all so please don't trouble yourself - your father's plaque is much more important - hope you get there soon
                        Cheers Sue

Comment

David......I'm sorry this has taken so long. Illness and severe weather has stopped me getting to Mt Thompson. However I am going next Monday so will see what I can get then.

Comment

Working...
                          X