Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone check this record at Kew for me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone check this record at Kew for me please?

I've had a brickwall for the last 30+ yrs in trying to trace my Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860-1937) prior to his Marriage to my Grandmother, Margaret Rees in Swansea in June 1893.

On his Marriage Cert, and on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Swansea, he gives his place of Birth as 'Manchester, Lancs'. Father, 'William Wilson (Deceased) Occupation: Mason.

William James Wilson was a Painter and Decorator. As he doesn't seem to show up on any of the Censuses before 1901, - I have taken a guess that he might have been in another trade or occupation.
    On the 1891 Census there is a:

William Wilson, Lodger, Royal Marine, Aged 32, Single, Bn. Manchester, 1859/60

Address.
    Mylor Bridge, Mylor, Cornwall. ( RG12 Piece 1833 Folio 41 Page 9 )

There is a slim chance that he might be my late Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860-1937) Born Manchester.

I've searched on the National Archives Site and paid and downloaded two records for William Wilson's, Royal Marines. Neither of them match my Grandfather's details.

I've found another record, which has not been digitalised, and can only be viewed at Kew or ordered. I'm still not sure of course if I am on the right track at all... There is no DOB for this William Wilson, but he joined the Marines in 1875, - which could fit. His Service Record is 6 pages, and so it's going to be fairly expensive to order, - (especially if it's for the wrong William Wilson again:-(

Might anyone who is going to Kew in the near future be able to take a look for me please?

The record is in ADM/157/1898 and is for William Wilson, Royal Marine, Born Manchester, Joined up in 1875. What I am trying to ascertain is what his DOB is, and whether his Father & next of kin was William Wilson, Occupation: Mason.

Hoping that someone will be able to help,
    Holly.

I have been trying to find him in the census records before 1901 either with or without his father but not found them , shall have another look , you need to put this on the research requests board

Comment

Many thanks for looking Val, - I'm glad that it's not just me who can't find him!

I don't know how to move a Post, - I thought I had re-posted, but I can't find it now:-(

Holly.

Comment

you have to ask for it to be moved here is the link

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          Ok, - it did work then!

Many thanks for the help Val.

Cheers, Holly.

Comment

I wonder if a slate quarrier could be a Mason ?? as there is a William Wilson from Lancashire born abt 1826 with a Son William J Wilson born abt 1861 in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire living in Railway Inn Sandside.

Comment

oh I found an old thread of yours seems they found that one too as none of those could doubt I will.

Comment

I wonder if a slate quarrier could be a Mason ?? as there is a William Wilson from Lancashire born abt 1826 with a Son William J Wilson born abt 1861 in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire living in Railway Inn Sandside.
                That one looked good Val, - until the 1911 Census came out...
                On that, it's obvious that he's not the right one, because he's still single and living at home.

On the 1911 for Swansea, my Grandfather is married to my Grandmother, running his own business, and has 6 sons, - (one of them my father).

I'm totally stuck with finding him before 1893...:-(

Holly.

Comment

maybe they never married? it happened a lot

Comment

maybe they never married? it happened a lot
                    I have the Marriage Cert. They definately Married at Swansea Parish Church on the 22nd June 1893. The Witnesses were Evan and Selina Rees, the Bride's Father and Sister.

Holly.

Comment

WmWilsonMarrCert1893.jpg
                      Originally posted by Holly View Post
                      I have the Marriage Cert. They definately Married at Swansea Parish Church on the 22nd June 1893. The Witnesses were Evan and Selina Rees, the Bride's Father and Sister.

Holly.

Comment

I meant his parents ? lol;)

Comment

I meant his parents ? lol;)
                          Yes, - quite possible, - but looking for 'William Wilson's'... is like looking in the proverbial haystack(!!)

I have a hunch that his Mother might have been an Alice though... (Because his 3rd son was initially registered as 'Alice Rencella Wilson', - later ammended to Ernest Rencella Wilson, as a 'Clerical Error'!

Holly.

Comment

like you the only one that seems likely is the Royal Marine in Cornwall in 1891

Comment

like you the only one that seems likely is the Royal Marine in Cornwall in 1891
                              I think this could be the same chap:

Census Ref: RG12/1836/138/48 (Number 12 in the list of names)

HMS Ganges (1st Class Training Ship) Moored in Falmouth Harbour, Cornwall

William Wilson; Member of Crew; Single; 33; Private R.M.L.S; Born Manchester, Lancs.

Holly.

Comment

Searched through Royal Marine Attestation papers at Kew yesterday, but was unable to find this chap.

I think that I have reached the end of the line with this now...and so will give up on it for now.

Holly:-(

Comment

Nice to meet you on here Holly! We will keep having a go at your problem in our group. You never know summat might just turn up one day!

Janet

Comment

Nice to meet you on here Janet!

I will keep my fingers crossed re my Missing Grandfather...

Holly

Comment

Working...
                                    X