Birth certificate changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth certificate changed

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

She has set a precedent with this ruling. I can sort of understand why she wanted to do it, but there must be thousands of children conceived by AID (or by other methods!) who wouldn't have the means to have their birth certificate changed even if they wanted to.

I feel quite disturbed by this ruling. Suppose her presumed father was dead and she only had her mother's word that he was not her biological father. How would proof be obtained then? There must be many people out there that have doubts over their parentage (thinking especially about teenagers during a row with their parents) particularly if there are no obvious likenesses between the father and child.

We all deserve to know our roots but at what cost?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Never forget that these days a birth certificate is a reflection of the legal parentage of a child, NOT necessarily the biological parents. So for example you can have certificates with two female parents shown instead of mother/father.

The current rules about the definition of "parent" in cases of assisted conception or surrogacy are contained within the
      The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008 and GRO have a whole section of their handbook covering the various permutuations now scientifically possible, and this has been further complicated by the introduction of same sex marriage, and the rulings over deceased fathers.

26 years ago when this case started, the law probably hadn't really caught up !
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
      X