How do I browse Baptisms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I browse Baptisms?

I would be grateful if someone on here can advise me how to browse Baptisms on Ancestry or FMP.

I am looking for a Baptism for:

Ellen HAMILTON, Born New Road, Deptford, October 1845.

Parents Charles and Charlotte Mary Hamilton. (I have previously posted about this family on here, but I don't know how to link the threads). I have Charlotte and Ellen on the 1851 Census for Greenwich, (in St Alfege's Passage). I also have Charles Hamilton's admission as a Greenwich Naval Pensioner, after he became blind.

2 other children of this family were Arthur Adgate Hamilton and Charles George Hamilton. Both were Baptised at St Nicholas' Deptford. Ancestry is missing the pages for the right timeframe, but I have checked with the LMA and Family Search, and she doesn't appear on the records for St Nicholas, Deptford.

I've searched on both Sites for a Baptism for her, with negative results...

Can anyone advise me how to Browse Baptisms for St Paul's please?

Thanks, Holly.

Baptisms for the 2 boys are available to view on Ancestry... Charles George at St Nicholas and Arthur Adgate at St Pauls( latter in 1840)

You may be able to just click forward from Arthur's entry, but given that it was a busy church, records might not go forward far enough on that film to find Ellen.

Comment

Many thanks for looking Gwyn.

Interestingly, - Arthur Adgate Hamilton seems to be 7yrs of age at his Baptism, & so perhaps Ellen Hamilton was also Baptised when older?

I will take another look...

Holly.

Comment

To browse records : Ancestry
        Search Tab at the top to go to BMD and Parish
        Click on Eng & Wales Christening Records in RHS panel.
        Click on London, Eng Births and Baps 1813 -1906
        To browse the collection click a Borough - in your case Lewisham then the parish Deptford St Paul, then the year. This will take you straight to the images to browse.

Bit long winded but you will get there
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
          Baptisms for the 2 boys are available to view on Ancestry... Charles George at St Nicholas and Arthur Adgate at St Pauls( latter in 1840)

You may be able to just click forward from Arthur's entry, but given that it was a busy church, records might not go forward far enough on that film to find Ellen.
          It might be me being dense here, - but how do I 'click forward' from Arthur Adgate's Baptism record? There's no original record to open, just a transcript...

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            Click on London, Eng Births and Baps 1813 -1906
            To browse the collection click a Borough - in your case Lewisham then the parish Deptford St Paul, then the year. This will take you straight to the images to browse.

Many thanks Katarzyna!

Holly. (Off to try now:-)

Comment

Click on London, Eng Births and Baps 1813 -1906 in RHS Panel

Edited for slight adjustment.
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-07-14, 17:15.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There's a Selina at St Marylebone, with the right parents' names, too, except that Charlotte isn't given a second name (Mary) and the father's occupation is "commercial traveller" and not "mariner".

I can't get Charles George to come up - but I can get an image of the register for Arthur, from which I can browse later (and earlier) pages, should I wish to do so. Which subscription do you have?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  There's a Selina at St Marylebone, with the right parents' names, too, except that Charlotte isn't given a second name (Mary) and the father's occupation is "commercial traveller" and not "mariner".

I can't get Charles George to come up - but I can get an image of the register for Arthur, from which I can browse later (and earlier) pages, should I wish to do so. Which subscription do you have?

Christine
                  Hi Christine,

I've got a UK Premium Subscription to Ancestry. I've got the Baptism for Charles George Hamilton at St Nicholas, Deptford, - sent to me by Family Search, - but It's on there too I think.

I've never come across a Selina Hamilton before, - what year is that please?

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                    Hi Christine,

I've got a UK Premium Subscription to Ancestry. I've got the Baptism for Charles George Hamilton at St Nicholas, Deptford, - sent to me by Family Search, - but It's on there too I think.

I've never come across a Selina Hamilton before, - what year is that please?

Holly.
                    21st Feb 1841. I found it by just using the surname and adding in the parents' names. Sometimes I put in only the father's name - because, in some old registers, that was all that seems to have counted! :(

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      21st Feb 1841. I found it by just using the surname and adding in the parents' names. Sometimes I put in only the father's name - because, in some old registers, that was all that seems to have counted! :(

Christine
                      Arthur Adgate Hamilton, (Parents, Charles and Charlotte) was Baptised on the 13th September 1840. (Charltte Mary's father was Adgate Edmeads).

I have him with his parents on the 1841 Census for Deptford, in Griffin Street. (Arthur must have been 1yr, - it just looks like a 7!) Charles Hamilton's Occupation is a Mariner. Charles Hamilton's entry on the Admission Ledgers to the Naval Hospital in Greenwich show that he always was a Mariner. He became a Greenwich Naval Pensioner when he went blind. He had a Naval Pension from his last ship, 'Stag'.

There must have been another couple with the same names, but with that Charles having a different occupation...?

Holly. (Still can't find a Baptism for Ellen Hamilton, Born Deptford 1845:-(
                      Last edited by Holly; 21-07-14, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X