Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know where this place is thanks

address.jpg it looks like North Britany Alyth thanks

It looks like what you thought!! Working on the principle that Google will always find it even if I spell it all wrong - - I found this book.

Place Names in Much of North-East Scotland

By Adam Watson

Hill, glen, lowland, coast, sea, folk In this book, the author presents many thousands of unpublished as well as published place names from much of north-east Scotland, most of them heard from local people, as a result of a study that he began in 2002. His book therefore preserves a salient part of local culture and identity. He interviewed many hundreds of indigenous residents, deerstalkers, gamekeepers, farmers, foresters, freshwater fishers, coastal salmon nets-men, and men who had names for coastal features and fishing grounds out at sea. All names heard from local folk are presented with phonetic symbols from the International Phonetic Association, so that anyone can pronounce them accurately. Most names are of Gaelic origin, translated wherever possible, but the rich culture of Scots names is given prominence, as well as English names, many of them on Ordnance Survey maps. The author interviewed the last fluent speaker of the Strathspey dialect of Gaelic, and a native speaker of the west-Sutherland dialect, both sadly now dead along with many other informants, so the author was just in time. Also the book lists many unpublished names from early mapmakers and estate plans. Colour photographs illustrate some of the informants and the places told to the author. The book will delight and inform visitors now and in future, and will be a valuable stepping stone for further study.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

oh so its in Scotland, thanks Caroline

Comment

Scotland was often known as "North Britain" specially in England!
        Anne

Comment

I didn't know that Anne ? thanks for that

Comment

Working...
          X