Familysearch film what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familysearch film what to expect

they finally have the film I wanted in, have never been there before ,do I make an appointment and what should I expect when I get there, does somebody help you.
    Thanks

it might help to read this Val, maybe take a camera (if allowed) but photocopying should be provided https://familysearch.org/locations/library_tips

Edna
    Last edited by clematised; 19-07-14, 22:59.

Comment

thanks Edna just hope it has what I want

Comment

They will help you find the film and set it up but they won't look through the film for you, if you understand what I mean.

I used my local FHC for many years and they were wonderful, cannot fault them.

OC

Comment

thanks OC the film I will be looking at has not been indexed so may take hours:(

Comment

Not all FHCs have photocopying facilities - the one I volunteer at does not. When I have searched through films, I have taken along some blank templates of the PR books. This makes it easier to record anything you find. I used to start at the date part of the film I was likely to find the initial person and then record all other instances of the name I was researching. It would be helpful for you if you have a note of the film and ITEM NUMBER before going along. There are often multiple Parishes on one film and the ITEM NUMBER will show you where on the film your Parish starts. Blank forms can be found on the internet.

The Director of the FHC that has your film should contact you to make an appointment to view the film. The film can stay in the FHC for up to 3 months so you can view it on multiple occasions.
            Last edited by Elderflower; 20-07-14, 11:45. Reason: Added more info

Comment

really Pat ? they did email to say its now in hadn't realised I had to get another email to say when I could go, thanks for that

Comment

It should be a phone call but you can always try ringing them instead. The problem is that most FHCs are run on a part time basis and are not always open on the published dates due to various circumstances so it can occasionally be difficult to get hold of them. Worth trying during their opening times though.

Comment

And you can enquire at the same time re: copying equipment. Some have scanners that go directly from film to a memory stick.

Comment

thanks very much Pat and Photo I will ring them

Comment

I really like the FHC, my local one in York is very very helpful, let me know when my films were in and helped me set them up on the microfilm reader, you can save your images via a USB on the reader in YOrk. The first time I used this I found it really helpful, the second time I couldnt use it because there was nobody there to set it up for me (you have to have permission to use it), but I could also save onto a CD.

Comment

thanks for that info Chris better get myself set up before I go

Comment

Working...
                        X