Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familysearch indexing event Jul 21

I am not sure if this is the right thread... feel free to move if necessary

I had an email from familysearch highlighting a bid to record 50,000 indexers to transcribe at least one page in a 24 hour period.

So just heads uping any transcribers that have not done any for a while or anyone considering becoming a volunteer, that this weekend may be the time to have a go.

Link https://familysearch.org/blog/en/joi.../?cid=hp1-1032

It has nudged me into doing a few this morning already.

Sadly not many UK projects available at the moment.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I will have a go Bubble

Comment

Have a look at this blog post from Randy Seaver if you want to do more than just index a few records.
      They are trying to make a record for the number of indexers.
      FamilySearch recently announced a 24-hour Worldwide Indexing Event in Join the Worldwide Indexing Event  to be held Sunday July 20 to Monday...

They may be releasing some Manchester records for indexing for the event.
      Hilary

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary G View Post
        Have a look at this blog post from Randy Seaver if you want to do more than just index a few records.
        They are trying to make a record for the number of indexers.
        FamilySearch recently announced a 24-hour Worldwide Indexing Event in Join the Worldwide Indexing Event  to be held Sunday July 20 to Monday...

They may be releasing some Manchester records for indexing for the event.
        Hilary
        Yes I picked up a batch of them to do yesterday.

Although I have no personal interest, I have been transcribing US obituary notices... some are really interesting.

Good for you Val
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

The Manchester PRs have been withdrawn from general use and restricted to UK-LDS only! :(

Although I'm not LDS, I'm thinking of trying to join a UK Stake, 'cosI much prefer doing UK records to non-UK ones.

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Transcribing is an extremely satisfying activity. Please also remember that if you wish to transcribe UK records, you can volunteer for an OPC site or for FreeReg, for example. I transcribe for the Cornwall OPC and I'm really enjoying it.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I index for Freereg as well as FS.

Gather that Manchester PRs are back and available to all.

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                The Manchester PRs have been withdrawn from general use and restricted to UK-LDS only! :(Although I'm not LDS, I'm thinking of trying to join a UK Stake, 'cosI much prefer doing UK records to non-UK ones.

STG
                This would explain why having transcribed 10 sheets offline, when I logged in to upload them they disappeared into the ether! :(

Therefore even if they are open to all once again I may give them a miss for a while.

Re FreeReg, despite several emails offering my services, no one got back to me.

Would be interested re OPC, but when I looked into obtaining parish records from the records office for my local parish they were costly. Could you tell me how you obtained yours Elizabeth?
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

For Cornwall OPC they e-mail you the films you transcribe from. Not all counties with OPCs do this.
                  I have ancestors in Cornwall and sent in some will transcriptions and got involved as a result. I'm now OPC for Probus and I'm transcribing the early registers. For Cornwall it helps to familiarise yourself with the names that occur, as some of them you won't find (or find rarely) for the rest of England.

Cornwall OPC Database - Search Cornish parish genealogy records
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth.

I was going to do my local parish, which historically was quite large. Will have to see in the future whether I can afford to get involved with this or as Cornwall is only a few miles away, so am used to West Country names, that could be another option.

Meanwhile I will continue with the projects I am involved in.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                    X