Please say Yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please say Yes

George Knight.JPGI sent for the Death Cert of a George Knight a Currier born 1815 ,this man died 1 May 1865 ,two of his children were taken in by the workhouse the 21 Apr 1865 ,another one on the 21 Jul 1865, so was convinced this would be the right one , now not too sure it seems to say he was a carrier ? could that be a mistake ? it also seems to say he was aged 40 ?

Please let me down gently

The age is only as good as the informant's knowledge, the occupation definitely reads as carrier but could have been misheard by the registrar when the informant gave the info, or miss-copied from his notes when he wrote up the register. Any clues in George's address?
    Last edited by JudithM; 17-07-14, 13:27.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for responding Judith I just had a look for a George Knight a Carrier in 1861 and luckily never found one ,George died in St Thomas's Hospital Newington so no address , it also does not say Widower so might that mean his wife was still alive ?

Comment

is there anywhere to look at Newington Burials ?

Comment

Currier or Carrier? It's worth remembering that many people had accents of one kind or another, and those two words are so similar that it would be easy to confuse one with the other. In my own research, someone showed up with the surname of Westlech, which I thought was odd, so I tried saying the name out loud and wondered whether in fact it might be Westlake, but spoken with an accent. On further research, I was proved to be correct, Westlake it was.

Comment

thanks Wendus I was thinking that too, I so want it to be him we have been trying to narrow this family down for years.

Comment

Whether the cert is from the local registrar's office or the GRO might make a difference, as there will be even more scope for mistranscription if it is from the GRO as it will have been copied out one more time.

Comment

Currier/Carrier so similar as to be easily mistaken. As for the age, I can only tell you that I sent for one death cert of someone who was a grandfather aged 79. When it arrived it gave one of the causes of death as old age and senility and his age was listed as 19!
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks for that Jill it did come from the GRO, and Chrissie thanks too that made me laugh what hope is there for me ?

Comment

I've had an archivist misread an occupation as "cashier", but I happened to know he was a "carrier". When I looked at the script, I could understand the error - but I was, nevertheless, surprised that a professional would have made the error.

Ages are always up for mistranscription, mistake, deliberate misleading!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine I wondered if there were burials for that area online besides the few on Ancestry?

Comment

Val I have often seen carrier for currier and as others say depends on the informant. Not sure about him not being recorded as a widower but there again maybe the informant was not aware especially if he was a hospital worker. Age likewise.

I note this dc has George dying of typhoid fever. Could be linked to that info I gave you re a Mary Knight dying in the fever hospital, Islington 26/04/1865. At that time two of children were recorded as legitimate as opposed to orphans on the 21/04/1865 workhouse record, with the other boy recorded as orphan on the 21/07/1865 record, by which time the father had died also 01/05/1865.

Who was the informant on dc

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 17-07-14, 20:30.

Comment

hi Vera and thanks again for your help I have more or less decided the Islington one is her so am going to send for it may as well go for broke;) the informant was an Elizabeth Cox I think in attendance at the Hospital.

Comment

Val I got in a muddle with father's date of death 1865 instead of 1861. Hope the bc is the right one for Mary.

Vera

Comment

Vera what do you think of the Death in Newington in Dec quarter 1859 ?? is it possible thats Mary

Comment

Mens' death certs do not say if they are widowed, just their occupation.
                                A woman's occupation was deemed to be 'wife of'or 'widow of' but not for men. LOL
                                Anne

Comment

we cross posted

Comment

Val seem to remember there was an Islington one that was a possible for that 1865 death of Mary Knight at the Fever Hospital. This line with Mary is just a possibility and it could be that she died in 1859 but if George's dc (1861) is correct, where were the boys until 1865 when they entered the workhouse.

Vera

Comment

Thats interesting Anne I didn't know that.
                                      Vera ,George died 1 May 1865 so I suppose you are right as Mary probably got the same fever? why would she die in the Islington hospital though and George in St Thomas's was there some sort of ruling.

Comment

Working...
                                      X