How to find a marriage in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a marriage in Scotland

I have found on Scotlandspeople in 1881 a William Knight born 1857 England with a wife Susan born 1861 also England
    am now trying to find the marriage I did assume it was in Scotland should be between about 1873 and 1881 but have also looked in England and not found it yet ?
    Is there any tips for searching marriages on Scotlandspeople thanks
    William Knight in 1881 Scotland.jpg

I've had a look on Scotlandspeople and cannot find a marriage of William KNIGHT to a Susan between those years anywhere in Scotland.

A couple of points - if she was really only 20 in 1881, more likely married between 1877 and 1881? As both born England, more likely married England? Did they actually marry?

However, tip wise: if any children are born Scotland, it's worth checking out their birth records as often these record the date (not place sadly) of the marriage (where known / accurate): this can be an aid to narrowing down any marriage searches that throw up lots of answers.

As a general rule: in searching on SP, you can get up to 24 search results on a 'page' for 1 credit (thus 25 is two credits) - can be useful sometimes for looking for different generations with the same name or in a narrow location for the same surname. With a successful search requiring at least 1 search credit and 5 credits for a specific record conserving the search credits can be helpful in maximising the return for the 30 credits (for example, if you've used 2 search credits to find a record there's and 'odd' 5 left at the end which won't be of any use except as search credits unless you top up another 30). However, with a bmd costing £1.40 only (1+5 credits) it's not really a problem compared with E&W bmds!!! And on the plus side, you get more information on marriage and death records (i.e. names of both parents where known).

Hope this helps somewhat

Comment

hi and thanks for looking, this man was taken from a workhouse by a sponsor to Scotland in about 1871 cannot find him on any census in England after his Birth in 1857 in Bermondsey, so I did assume he married there, thanks again will definitely try your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
      X