Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me find this woman. I have everything but her birth record. Ann Cavanagh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me find this woman. I have everything but her birth record. Ann Cavanagh

Ok I am a member of FMP and Ancestory but I cannot find this woman. Maybe I'm over looking something. If this marriage certificate is correct she has lied about her age and so has he!

Her name was Annie Brady ( Nee Cavanagh ) or maybe its Ann like on her marriage certificate, or Anna like on her church death record...oh man. Different ages, different names, I'm at a loss..

I'm trying to find her birth, or a census, or anything pre 1898 her marriage..

Working backwards this is what I have...Below her death entry at the GRO..
    {see GRO Deaths Index 1945, June Qtr: aged 71}

Her local Church death entry I copied from Micro film

Her living at 43 Cambridge Street, Newcastle on the 1911 Census

{1911 census: Annie BRADY, aged 35}

Her on the 1901 Census living at 19 Stone Street Newcastle upon tyne

{1901 Census: Annie BRADY, aged 30}

What I think is her Marriage???? the ages are way off, why would they lie?

One of her children who sadly lived only months

Her Husbands Birth Entry from Cloone Ireland
    {image removed}

And finally what was left of her husbands family back in Ireland in 1901. I'm not sure when Thomas moved to England.
    {image removed}Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, maybe i'm over looking something easy. I know i'm probably gonna have to start buying more certificates to solve this.

All im after is her birth records...but im not sure..I think both these census are saying she was born in Newcastle. But why did she marry in Sunderland and then move back to Newcastle, it doesn't make sense. Or maybes it does. I can find close matches for a woman name Mary Ann Cavanagh, did people omit their first names on occasions for the rest of their lives? Anyone chime in please

[1] After PM discussion about T&Cs of other sites, I have removed the GRO Index and census images, leaving the critical information. I believe that the remaining images should be OK, but will come back and remove any others, should they prove to be in breach of anyone's T&Cs. [2] Irish records also now removed. - Christine in Herts.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-07-14, 23:24.

was going to say there is a Mary Ann Cavanagh in 1874 Newcastle but you obviously had found her ?

Comment

I see in 1911 she says born in Co Letrim and not Newcastle?

Comment

what about Annie Cavanagh June quarter of 1875 Manchester Lancashire 8D 272

Comment

Yeah I did Val, but I'm really starting to think that could be her. But did people just stop using their first names, is that normal?

Also what makes it hard to find her is the age discrepancies...

she died in 1945 aged 71, which makes year of birth year.... 1874

1911 census she's stated as 38 which makes birth year........1873

1901 census she's 30, makes year of birth ................1871

Her marriage cert if correct she's 28, year of birth..............1870

I've been told people lied about their age and it was common back then. But 100 years on makes tracing her very difficult

Comment

found John Kavanagh a Builder in 1881 says born 1854 Ireland he is a lodger at 77 Egerton Street Liverpool

Interestingly he says single ? wonder if its the right man
            Last edited by Guest; 15-07-14, 23:12.

Comment

On the 1911 I dont think that Ireland reference is for her, only her husband. I think he ran out of space to write, so he went on the next line down. There is a census code of 641 for him, then two X's for her and her son.

Annie Cavanagh from Manchester, I'll take a look Val.

Comment

if she was Irish they do mess with their names

Comment

yeah I noticed that. If she is Irish its gonna make finding her birth a nightmare....

Comment

Just checking if I can find a death for John Kavanagh, on her marriage cert she has put her's deceased in 1898.

Comment

there is one for a John Kavanagh in Jun quarter of 1898 Barrow in Furness age 45 8E 552
                      Buried 1st Jun in Barrow in Furness Borough Cemetary

Please double check anything I have put as am tired tonight and may have mistyped

Comment

When I come across that sort of age discrepency across several documents, I always work on the principal that the earliest dated document will have the most accurate age. The tendancy seems to be the older the person the more inaccurate the age given. On that basis I would be looking for records closer to 1870 rather than later

Comment

That's interesting Dermotdjt because I am looking at an Ann Cavanagh/Cavanaugh born 1866/1868.

MBrady I am wondering about this one. There is a birth in Newcastle for an Ann Cavanagh 1866 and the following census may fit.

1871 Mother Catherine (Cathrin on Ancestry) aged 40 born in Ireland with children
                          Francis aged 15 born Ireland
                          Louis (Fanny) aged 13 born Ireland
                          Ellen aged 4 born Newcastle
                          Ann aged 3 born Newcastle
                          Mary aged 10 months born Newcastle

Living in Elswick area of Newcastle upon Tyne

The family appear in the 1881 with the exception of Ann who may be a Servant aged 13 in Coxlodge, Newcastle, 1891 when Ann is back within the family, 1901 without Ann and then 1911 Catherine aged 80 plus living with daughter Fanny Grundy and her husband. I note on the 1911 Catherine gives her place of birth as Clone, Ireland. All census living in Newcastle.

Not able to see a death for a John as stated on the mc of Ann though.

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 16-07-14, 09:44.

Comment

This is why I threw this out there to get others perspective on things_ thanks for the replies guys!

@Dermotdjt - thats what I always thought.

@vera2013 - thanks for a detailed search much appreciated, you may well be on to something here. however I can't find the 1891 census? Did you say there was an entry...could you post link of possible please?

Could be getting warm here!
                            Last edited by Mbrady; 16-07-14, 14:19.

Comment

Have you tried Ann Kavanagh whose birth was registered in September 1874 at Newcastle (10b 37 refers).
                              Good luck ........

Comment

Just an observation on dates. Bear in mind that the informant for the death may not actually know for sure the age of the deceased or even their dob. It depends on their relationship to the deceased. Have you the death certificate? That may give some help on that.
                                Phil
                                historyhouse.co.uk
                                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Roots Ireland have 35 BAPTISMS for Mary Ann Cavanagh for 1871 +/- 5 years. None for Co.Leitrim
                                  You have to allow that Mary Ann was born/registered/baptised in one county and brought up in another.
                                  You also have to allow that there are several spellings for Cavanagh - and what is written down may not be Cavanagh - but will sound like it.
                                  That means trying Cavanaugh, Kavanagh, Kavanaugh, etc.
                                  Somewhere I have an address for Steven Cavanagh who has probably the best Cavanagh database - he converts all names to C...... to try and reverse the problem. When I can find his e-mail, I will post it.
                                  Geoff

Comment

@Giddysue - I can't that person? you got a link please?

@vera2013 - I really think this could be her Vera.....on your searches did you come across where Catherine was in 1901. I found one similar but she had the name was Kate, and the kids births years are way off, but I'm getting kind of used to that now.

@Keldon - I have the death entry from her local church and it matches the GRO index. I'm not sure what other information her death certificate would give me, other than what she died of, and who the informant was. I realise though the date is as only as good as the informant believes it to be. Which in this case was probably her son and it could be way off. But thanks for your input keldon.

Comment

Working...
                                    X