Irish Civil Registration - online info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Civil Registration - online info

Not sure if this has already been posted. The Civil Records list for Ireland was added to irishgenealogy.ie. Its very comprehensive with records running up to 2013.

They've now had to close it. :(

Irish Data Protection commissioner orders closure of civil records search over fears that it exposes too much information. By Alex Hern

I hope everyone made the most of it while it was accessible.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The day i posted the link here i also posted on another genealogy site the following.

"Re: the Irish Civil Records. Its very difficult for adopted people in Ireland to obtain their birth cert, so this hint might narrow things down a bit. If you know your date of birth just check what births were recorded for that day, if you have any idea what part of the country you were born in thats another clue. Many adopted children keep their forename as either their first or second forenames so thats another clue. I know details of adopted friends and using those hints i found their births on the site (they already had this info)."

The above post was deleted from that genealogy site last Tuesday. So maybe its not just a question of bank security.

Comment

Disappointing development for those looking at there Irish family history

Is there any difference to what is avialable on UK FreeBMD

Comment

I'd LOVE the details of my Irish lot to be available on line (just the year of the marriage would do!) - sadly they were Roman Catholic and were married and over here by 1860 :(

I've never used Irish civil records - do actual dates feature in online searches?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Oh no - I didn't take the entry details of my uncles, grandmother's family to get the certificates.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
              Oh no - I didn't take the entry details of my uncles, grandmother's family to get the certificates.
              I think the main problem here was the records of living people so hopefully the rest will come back when it's all sorted.

Margaret

Comment

I think the Civil Registration started in 1865. You would need to have a good idea where your relative was born and then find out which Civil Registration District they would have been registered in - this may actually be in a different county as happened with the family I am researching. The Civil Registrations are on the Mormon Site (some of them anyway).
                Is it that site that they are being removed from??

Actual dates do feature in online searches.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                  I think the Civil Registration started in 1865. You would need to have a good idea where your relative was born and then find out which Civil Registration District they would have been registered in - this may actually be in a different county as happened with the family I am researching. The Civil Registrations are on the Mormon Site (some of them anyway).
                  Is it that site that they are being removed from??

Actual dates do feature in online searches.

Sue
                  No it's not the LDS site it's an Irish one and I think they have overstepped the mark with the cut off year for records.

Margaret

Comment

However the good news is as follows as suggested in todays Lost Cousins Newsletter:

Irish BMD indexes - too good to be true
                    The enhanced, up-to-date, indexes of Irish births, marriages, and deaths that I announced in my last newsletter have now disappeared, possibly for ever.

At the time I was a little surprised at how much modern personal data was being published (including precise birthdates), and it now seems that nobody thought to get Data Protection clearance. See this Guardian article for more details.

However the potentially more important project, to put historic birth, marriage, and death registers online is still going ahead, and a bill to put this into effect has just been published - see Claire Santry's blog for more details.

Janet

Comment

Don't forget this free website for some Irish records. www.irishgenealogy.ie/ Not all Counties covered, yet, but well worth a look.

teresa

Comment

Irish Goverment closes part of it's Genealogy website

Had this email today:

Personal Data Removed from Irish Genealogy Site Over Security Fears

Personal Data Removed from Irish Genealogy Site Over Security Fears
                        The Irish government closed part of its genealogy website on Friday, after the country's data protection commissioner warned that potentially sensitive personal details were available to all.

Linda
                        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 25-07-14, 08:15.

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                          Don't forget this free website for some Irish records. www.irishgenealogy.ie/ Not all Counties covered, yet, but well worth a look.

Thanks teresa, but that is the one that has closed off the Civil Registration. :(

We have had several threads about this over the past week, so I will merge them all together.

I was very lucky and managed to get my in-laws' siblings' names and details before they closed it.

UPDATE: Threads now merged.
                          Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

They have just updated their site to reflect the changes!
                            Caroline

Comment

Working...
                            X