Workhouse Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse Records

Apart from County Record Offices are Workhouse Records yet available anywhere else i.e. online.

I am looking for someone who was in Kings Lynn Workhouse but last time I enquired the years I wanted would not be available at Norwich Record Office yet but some may be now (100 year rule I was told).
    Kings Lynn Library do not have these records. I suspect, however, that 1914/15/16 will be the relevant years so may have to wait a bit longer!

Has anyone looked at Workhouse Records and know what sort of thing you get in them?

Sue

Hi Sue - I don't know whether there are any on line but I have looked at them in the Matlock Records Office. They were huge books, so big that I looked down the right hand page while hubby went down the left. We had to wear white gloves. We found the names and ages and the dates of when they went in (and why) and when the mother signed herself and her children out. I think that's about all it said. Oh, and the occupation of the mother (presumably while she was in there?).
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Many thanks Chrissie - I will probably have to go to Norwich Record Office in that case which is OK - will take husband to assist - I have trained him well in record searching and he is quite good at it now!
      My relative was a child who went in on her own, after the age of 9, as far as I know - she told me that she was put in the charge of an elderly lady inmate who was in bed - they looked after each other. I have no idea how long she was in the Workhouse but I know she was with several foster parents (some horrendous stories about that) after the Workhouse but at some point went home again and left for London when 14. She had 8 siblings and grandparents (elderly) living next door. I think the family were in dire straights. 9 children, oldest 16 and youngest 3 months. The mother died. The father, leaving the 16 year old in charge of the family went off to fight in WWI (he didn't have to but he wanted to). On his military record it states Head of Family is his 16 year old daughter. I am intrigued by why my relative was the only one to be admitted - she died in 1994 so I imagine I would be able to have access or are records closed from the date of death?

Sue

Comment

I'm sorry Sue, I really don't know about the rules re how long ago. I was looking at the time around 1881, so it wasn't a problem. I hope someone will come along who knows more than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
          Apart from County Record Offices are Workhouse Records yet available anywhere else i.e. online.
          Has anyone looked at Workhouse Records and know what sort of thing you get in them?
          Sue
          Compared with the 19th century, by 1914 there were many more books and records treated in the administration of a Poor Law Union and the Workhouse, most of them for accounting purposes. Here's a selection of some of the records which I have come across in the record office. Your ancestor may be mentioned in some of them. Sometimes it may be just a one line entry of their name, but on a rare occasion there may be more detailed information about an individual case.

Minutes of Board of Guardians
          Admission and Discharge Book
          General Ledger
          Rough Legder
          Overseer's Account Book
          Master's Day Book
          Offences and Punishment Book
          Indoor Relief List
          Outdoor Relief List
          Daily Diets Account Book
          Weekly Provisions Account Book
          Leave of Absence Book
          Chaplain's Report Book
          Master's Report Book
          Relieving Officer's Receipt and Expenditure book
          Summary of Provisions Account Book
          Medical Relief Book
          and probably many more depending on the local procedure.

Hope this helps,
          Phil
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

If you ever need this area
            Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Oh yes Phil, I think it may have been the admission and discharge book we looked in.

Comment

I think I will have to pay a visit to Norwich Record Office and see what they have for 1914 ?onwards.
                It is a shame that the reason a person is in the workhouse isn't given or perhaps it is in the admission book.
                Many thanks for the information.

Sue

Comment

I would ring them first Sue to check that they have what you want to look at. This is a link to contact on their website - http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/G...nro-contact-us

Comment

Many thanks indeed for that link Chrissie. I think it would be wise to ring them first - I can also ascertain the latest date for which they have WH records.

I must admit I enjoy going to Norwich - never actually been to the Archives but Norwich is great for a bit of retail therapy and generally a nice place. Only about 60 miles from us.

Sue

Comment

Sounds lovely Sue but a long way to go for a bit of retail therapy
                      It sounds as though you may be able to tell me something that I've wondered, about where my ancestors came from. Do you happen to know whether Ramsey and surrounding area come under Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire please? I know the boundaries moved didn't they?

Comment

Ramsey is rather nice Chrissie. Only been there once and it is not far from me.
                        I am not sure about the boundary and would suspect it is Huntingdonshire.
                        My husband says it lies within Cambridgeshire - it didn't when I did geography at school but then my husband comes from Ireland!
                        Whoops, how embarrassing - our household map which is fairly new says:

"Ramsey is within the historic county of Huntingdonshire BUT lies in the District of Huntingdonshire within the non-metropolitan county of Cambridgeshire."

How very odd! I learn something new every day!

Sue
                        Last edited by Sue1; 16-07-14, 16:40.

Comment

Now you know why I've always been confused when listing my ancestors county Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            Now you know why I've always been confused when listing my ancestors county Sue
                            Nice place though .............let me know if you want any pictures taken, I seem to remember there is a nice pub there!

Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X