Lost in Workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Workhouse

My great grandmother Julia Hockland was born in Liverpool in 1852. In March 1871 she gave birth to a daughter, Julia Hockland, in St Pancras Workhouse. I have seen the workhouse register. I assumed they would still have been there when the census was taken but I cannot find them. They reappear in the 1881 census, living with William Hooper. They have taken his surname (I cannot find a marriage for William and Julia).
    Is it likely that Julia and the baby would have left the workhouse so quickly? I cannot find them anywhere on the census.
    Can anybody help me please.
    Many thanks
    Charity

Yes, I have the other census details. I just cannot find them in 1871 and as the baby Julia had only just been born I thought they would still be in the workhouse.
    Thanks for your help.
    Charity

Comment

why is the Daughter Julia Bailey in 1891 ?? or have I missed something

Comment

she may have only been in the workhouse infirmary to give Birth? so left quickly

Comment

Hello Val
          The daughter married George Bailey. So in 1891 The 'baby' Julia was married to George Bailey and living with her parents and her son.

Charity

Comment

suppose you have her baptism?

Comment

cannot find anything at all yet

Comment

Hi Val
                Yes, I have seen her baptism details in the St Pancras workhouse register. It may be as you suggest that she only went into the infirmary to give both but then I would expect to find her elsewhere in the census. I have tried looking for Julia Hockland/ Julia Hooper but no luck.
                Thanks for trying
                Charity

Comment

had to go out but will try again
                  Last edited by Guest; 14-07-14, 20:39.

Comment

This isn't much help, but I have my gt x 2 grandmother's sister, lodging with gt x 2 grandmother in 1871 with no mention of the illegitimate daughter who according to her baptism record (giving her father's name and implying he was married to her mother) was born 24 March 1871.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Julia Hockland was born 9th march 1871 and baptised Old Church ,St Pancras ,London on 22nd March ...
                      if the census was 31st March - Julia would be 22 days old ...the question is did she just go into the Workhouse to have the baby - or was she an inmate ?...does it say she was an inmate in the Register you seen ??
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

tried everything I can think of but no luck sorry, wonder if she is in the workhouse discharge records?

Comment

Hello Allan
                          Have just realised that it wasn't the workhouse register that I saw but Old Church, St Pancras register. It just states:-Abode workhouse. I have looked through the workhouse census on Ancestry but cannot see either of them. However, I cannot find them anywhere else.

Comment

Have checked the admissions and discharges and creed registers for St Pancras. Can't see her there although there are a couple of others whose children were baptised the same time as Julia. Will take another look. Maybe a long term inmate although have checked back to 1870. Were the inmates allowed out of the confines I wonder. Her mother was a widow by that time and her sister Lucy was not with family in 1871. .

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 14-07-14, 23:39.

Comment

Originally posted by charity View Post
                              Hello Allan
                              Have just realised that it wasn't the workhouse register that I saw but Old Church, St Pancras register. It just states:-Abode workhouse. I have looked through the workhouse census on Ancestry but cannot see either of them. However, I cannot find them anywhere else.
                              it might seem a silly question but it makes sense to me
                              IF Julia lived with her mum in St Pancras - could the mother have told Julia to go to a Workhouse a few miles away to have her baby so that there would be "no gossip from neighbours " ?....basically - do you need to find another workhouse close to St Pancras and see if Julia is in there ??...abode Workhouse at the baptism didn`t say which workhouse or St Pancras Workhouse - so could it have been another workhouse ?
                              ADDED...could she have gone back to Liverpool Workhouse to have her baby ?? and then baptised her back home in St Pancras ?...I suppose it is a possibility .
                              when it was stated her mother was a widow in the census ( by Vera )- where was the mother living - in St Pancras ??
                              Last edited by garstonite; 15-07-14, 08:35.
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hello Vera & Alan
                                Thank you for your help.
                                The widowed mother was living in Pancras & Lucy was dead.
                                It may well be that she went elsewhere Alan, to avoid the neighbours, but neither she nor the baby can be found anywhere else. If she was in a workhouse in Liverpool would she not still turn up somewhere in the census?

Charity

Comment

Charity this is aside from your query. Have you disregarded this Lucy or did you mean Leah was dead

1871 Lucy Hockland b 1858 Shoreditch, visitor to the King family John and Caroline in St Margaret's Westminster

Vera

Comment

Hello Everyone
                                    Thank you all for your suggestions. Sorry I haven't got back to you but have been away.
                                    Whatever the circumstances of the birth I still would expect the mother and daughter to pop up somewhere in the census. Or could it be that as they may have been 'sofa surfing' at the time they have slipped through the net?

Any thoughts would be welcome

Charity

Comment

Working...
                                    X