Legitimate or Orphan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legitimate or Orphan

Have 3 siblings entering the Workhouse two on the 21 Apr 1865 and their Brother on 21 Jul 1865.
    Now we have just noticed by the first two it says Legitimate but by their Brother it says Orphan , what would that mean ? thanks

Hi Val
    I can't explain the reference to legitimate but wonder if a parent or parents died between April & July making the brother an orphan.
    Moggie

Comment

hi Moggie and thanks for looking,this is that Knight family we are trying to narrow down when the parents died, I wonder then if its likely the mother died first and maybe the father tried to keep the other son at home but then he died , have sent for a death cert for a George Knight recorded in Jun 1865 Newington am really hoping its the right one .

Comment

I think orphan just means the father is dead, not an implication about legitimacy or otherwise.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell,nice to see you by the way wondered why it did not say orphan by his siblings ? am on tenterhooks waiting for the cert I have ordered hope it comes soon and is the right one, been trying to find them for years.

Comment

Working...
          X