Decipher name please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decipher name please

2nd line in this 1911 Ireland census record: name transcribed as Thon Hoey but would be interested in the consensus of opinions from anyone on this forum.

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

I think it says "Shon", which would be the Irish way of pronouncing John.

Definitely ends in "n" though - same as the "n" in Marion.

OC

Comment

Could be John .A slip of the pen.
      F

Comment

The first letter could be a J! It looks similar to the first letter of James! Just got the H in the wrong spot. Have you looked for the visiting family in Scotland?

Comment

I was toying between Thom (short for Thomas) and John re the J. So I checked the 1881 Scotland but the trouble is there is both, unless you know who his parents were?
          Thomas - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=8

John - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=3
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think it looks like Thom.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Going by Northern Ireland BMD it's John.

M/1901/B1/418/98/197 Mary Martin John Hoey 28th January 1901 Belfast
              U/1902/58/1007/22/416
              Charles Hoey 25th January 1902 Male Martin Belfast
              U/1905/59/1007/19/500 James Hoey 23rd January 1905 Male Martin Belfast
              U/1903/59/1007/18/44 Marion Hoey 7th May 1903 Female Martin Belfast

Comment

Thanks all,
                Shortly after posting the initial query, I was able to confirm that the first name is indeed John - I found John and Mary Hoey plus Charles Martin in the 1901 census:

Thanks Galloway Lass, I had also found the info you had found via the newly released Ireland BMD available via irishgenealogy.ie

I'm just following a hunch at the moment that this John Hoey may be a son of my 2G uncle, James Edward Hoey 1850-1910 - based primarily on the fact that he was born in Scotland and at least in 1901 gives his religion as Methodist, plus the fact that he has a daughter called Marion is also suggestive (see below)

James Edward Hoey's family are proving really frustrating. I have seen his birth/baptism record from 1850 and evidence of his death and burial in Belfast in 1910. I haven't been able to find any marriage record for him in the 1870s in Ireland so think he married his wife, Marion (no idea of her maiden name) who was born in Glasgow, in Scotland some time around 1872-4. Several of his children were born in Glasgow in the late 1870s to mid 1890s but I have not been able to find any trace of them in the 1881 or 1891 Scotland censuses.
                Irish census info re James Edward Hoey's family is here:
                1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000722898/

1911 Marion and a couple of the children living with her married daughter and son-in-law after JEH's death in 1910:

Any help on the Scottish marriage, births and censuses would be much appreciated as I haven't made any headway on this over several years now. Having said that, I am not familiar with searching in Scotland at all, so it would be great if any Scottish experts out there could come up with anything.

Thanks,
                Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

from SP James Edward was born on the 19th June 1876. At 39 London Road, Glasgow. His parents were unmarried at the time

Father James Hoey, Wood Sawyer

Mother Marion Inglis, French Polisher

both parents informed of the birth

Registered 5th July 1876 in Glasgow

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    from SP James Edward was born on the 19th June 1876. At 39 London Road, Glasgow. His parents were unmarried at the time

Father James Hoey, Wood Sawyer

Mother Marion Inglis, French Polisher

both parents informed of the birth

Registered 5th July 1876 in Glasgow

Vera
                    Vera,
                    Thanks so much for this info. I wonder if JEH and Marion ever officially married? Either way, they were together until death did them part, are buried together in Belfast and went on to have 9 children according to the info mistakenly (but fortuitously for me) included in her 1911 census return, where even though she had been widowed for a year, she said she had been married for 42 years and had 9 children of whom 7 were still living. Obviously I know the names of the 5 who were still living with their parents in 1901 but have no idea of the names of the two others who died before 1911 plus 2 more who were still alive in 1911, whether in Scotland or back in Belfast.
                    As mentioned, I'm wondering if the John Hoey mentioned at the start of this thread might be one of the latter 2, but obviously can't be definitive on this until I turn up some more info from Scotland. I've never had any need to use Scotlands People until now but you've encouraged me to do so, now that I have a birth surname for Marion.
                    Thanks again,
                    Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 16-07-14, 19:04.
                    Researching:

Comment

Hope it moves you on a bit Christine.

I have a love/hate relationship with the site having the more common Scottish names in my tree. However, lots of info if you hit on the right one. I have yet to be able to find a marriage for my gg/mother although at the birth of each child she gives a convenient marriage date and a different church for each wedding. Bet she didn't fool the Registrar.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                      X