1861 Census which bits are missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Census which bits are missing

I just read the stuff on FMP about what is missing from this census, as have been unable to find a family anywhere .
    They are in Bermondsey in 1851 and some of the children are in the workhouse in Bermondsey in 1865
    Is there a site that maybe has more of the 1861 records than Ancestry or FMP

do you mean this page Val?

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Val,
      Have seen this posting. It seems that a few Bermondsey streets have been lost.

This is TNA link
      This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Bermondsey_Registration_District,_1861_Census_Street_Index looked like on 31 Dec 1900 at 23:59:59
      Last edited by keldon; 10-07-14, 19:49.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

it does not say Bermondsey on that list Julie ? unless I missed it? and Phil hello nice to see you , the link for the TNA wont work, when you click on the Road name says its been moved .

Comment

I've looked into this before Val as I have several missing families in Bermondsey in 1861, but as far as I could determine all of Bermondsey is available, certainly as far as Ancestry is concerned.

As I understood it the missing records are missing from TNA, not just an individual provider, so it doesn't matter who you go to.

I did try highlighting the streets from the first page descriptions of the census returns on an old map of Bermondsey to see if I could identify any missing streets, but realised it was going to take way too long and gave up.

I suppose it is possible that some properties, or even entire streets, were missed from the survey and not even visited by the enumerators, in which case we wouldn't actually know they were missing as the pieces would still run sequentially without any gaps. Bermondsey was such a maze of tiny back streets and mews it must have been really difficult to make sure everywhere had been included.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete I did manage to find some of the road they lived in but not them but of coure they could have moved .
            Have ordered a Death Cert am hoping its the right one might help a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X