1891 & 1901 Scotland look up please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 & 1901 Scotland look up please?

Hi. I am trying to track down the whereabouts and family of William GARDNER in 1891 and 1901 and would be grateful if anyone could do a look-up for me.

As background he was born Sep 1858 Hutchesontown, Glasgow and in 1881 he is with his parents (John & Elizabeth), in Glasgow Barony where he is aged 22, a Clothlapper.

I am primarily interested in finding him in 1891 and 1901, any wife/children (I am hoping he has a son John born about 1880) and his occupation.

Thanks for any help

This looks like John and Elizabeth in 1891

Source Citation: Parish: Eastwood; ED: 15; Page: 18; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1891_178.

Living at Eastwood, Renfrewshire on their own - John is a Print work labourer

Placees of birth Dunbarton and Paisley

There's also this one

Source Citation: Parish: East Kilbride; ED: 6; Page: 18; Line: 15; Roll: CSSCT1891_237.

John born Bonhill, Dumbarton but year of birth is out b1835 and he's a calico printer
    Elizabeth P W Gardner born c1836 Glasgow
    also there is a Maggie Gardner bc1864 Busley, Lanarkshire - dressmakerand
    Andrew Gardner b c1866 Busley, Lanarkshire - a Grocers Assistant
    all living at Bank Building - East Kilbride.

Still looking for William - do you know where John junior was born?
    Last edited by JBee; 10-07-14, 11:46.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee the first one you found is right.

I'm afraid I don't know date or place of birth of John: most likely in the mid 1880s in Glasgow, Lanarkshire. I was hoping that a fix for William would lead me to him. He had a child born Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1920 so it looks athought he stayed in the Glasgow area for quite some time. That's really all I have at this time I'm afraid.

Comment

William Gardner was born on 24 Sep 1858 son of John Gardner and Elizabeth Mcdonald in Hutchestown, Glasgow, Lanark

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Sorry just thought - if William was with his parents in 1881 and unmarried - then how come John is born c1880?

Could it be that William married a widow with a son John?

Comment

Yes JBee that is indeed William's birth. To complete the family, he had sisters Catherine (04 Dec 1860 Hutchesontown) and Janet (10 Jun 1865 Bridgeton).

I have no marriage for John GARDNER [although he had children], nor his death, so trying to find his birth is difficult: it is, of course, possible he was born to Catherine or Janet and not William, but I am working on the latter assumption for now

PS: 1880 was a typo! He was born after 1881 poss. as late as 1891 (his partner was born 1878) so c.1885 +/-
            Last edited by Bertie; 10-07-14, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post

I have no marriage for John GARDNER [although he had children], nor his death, so trying to find his birth is difficult: it is, of course, possible he was born to Catherine or Janet and not William, but I am working on the latter assumption for now

PS: 1880 was a typo! He was born after 1881 poss. as late as 1891 (his partner was born 1878) so c.1885 +/-
              Hi Bertie
              I am totally confused. If you have no birth death or marriage for John GARDNER why do you think he may be connected to William or Catherine or Janet?
              Are you able to give any details of his wife/partner or his children?
              Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie - good question, and it does seem strange doesn't it!

I have pieced this together through a combination of information from a distant cousin and with some subsequent detective work, which does link John GARDNER to the line above. Unfortunately, said cousin has not replied for a couple of years so I am unable to obtain any additional information on John.

He had a daughter born 1920 but this does not help with finding John (I could order an extract at a cost of £15 in the hope he has a very unusual occupation which would lead me to him in 1911 and then backwards). Otherwise, I could wait till 1921 census is available and hope he is with his partner and daughter!

Comment

I tried to find a death for William bc1858 with mother's maiden name Mcdonald but there's only 1 in 2012 so I doubt if that's him - he'd have been a very old man.

There's 13 when I put in year of birth +/- 2 years and no mother's maiden name but I don't have any credits for scotlandspeople.

You could ask if anyone is going up to Edinburgh's Scotlandspeople to see whether they could do you a lookup for the daughter's birth which will give both parents names from which you could get a marriage (hopefully). It usually has the date and place of parent's marriages on birth certificates in Scotland. Unfortunately you can't see it online if its less than 100 years ago - could wait 6 years lol.

There's 60 girl Gardner births in 1920 lol and 33 if I put in Lanarkshire.

You can see images on Scotlandspeople

Births over 100 years ago
                  Marriages over 75 years ago
                  Deaths over 50 years ago.
                  Last edited by JBee; 10-07-14, 15:27.

Comment

Hi Bertie
                    Have you looked on Scotlandspeople? You can get 30 credits for £7.00. Being as you know the daughter's name & presumably her birthplace you can narrow down the results. 1 credit to view a page of results & 5 credits to view the chosen image.
                    Link here to charges http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Co...aspx?r=554&628
                    Moggie

Comment

Thanks JBee and Moggie - the daughter's birth in 1920 is less than the 100 years required to see the record on Scotlandspeople and I do know who her parents were.

It is William (born 1858) I was trying to track down and I hoped his 1881 record and occupation would lead easily to sightings in 1891 and 1901: seems I was too optimistic there!

Thanks anyway for your kind help

Comment

You really need to get the girl's birth certificate which will give her parents names. You say you know them but need to prove it to go back accurately.

As you have the girl's parents names - have you found the marriage? As its more than 75 years then it should be on scotlandspeople if it was in Scotland. This would give you John's parents names and whether William was his father or not.

Sorry but have to repeat this - I made the mistake of not getting a marriage certificate as I thought I knew the information that would be on it. So I ploughed on visiting records offices, buying certificates, researching the whole line and twigs too. Finally when I did get the marriage certificate I'd been following the wrong line. You need to prove every stage or you could end up like me wasting time and money on wrong family.
                        Last edited by JBee; 11-07-14, 10:24.

Comment

JBee - I agree completely with you and I do always work that way. In this case, and until I am certain, the previous generations will not be included on my tree (and are currently just notes attached to John).

Re. John's marriage (see posts above) - they did not marry so that's another reason I cannot find a definitive link with William!

I'll just be patient now until 2021 census comes out (and that's also when I can get daughter's birth cert. for 1+5 credits) and then do some more searching.

Seems odd that William cannot be found after 1881: perhaps he died or is missing for some reason: ho hum!

Comment

You can see the image if you go up to Edinburgh's scotlandspeople Princes St opp railway station - you can't get a copy if its outside the permitted years but you can transcribe it onto paper. They have special forms 10p I think which you just have to fill the blanks in for your records or just jot the info down for nothing - so perhaps if someones going they'll do a lookup for you.

There's a fee for a days search - last time I think it was £15 but if you have lots of scottish rellies it can prove rewarding 1911 census, etc
                            Last edited by JBee; 12-07-14, 08:39.

Comment

If John has died more than 50 years ago you can access the death record on Scotlandspeople online which should give his parents names.

Comment

Working...
                              X