Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 census help, please

I'm looking for

James Rodwell, b. abt 1764, no idea where, but married in 1816 in Tydd St Mary, Lincs and died there in 1846. His wife, Elizabeth, d. in Tydd St Mary in 1825.

He and Elizabeth had three sons, all born Tydd St Mary

William, b. 1817
    John, b. 1818
    and
    Frederick, b. 1821

I can't find any of them on the 1841 census, +/- surnames, but still nothing.

Have Frederick in 1851. He died in 1855.
    John died in 1849 and was buried in Tydd St Mary.
    Think William married a Sarah Baxter, and if so, have him on later censuses.

Any help with finding these chaps in 1841 would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Sorry, I can't help with the census, but where have you got his DOB from? He would have been 52 when he married Elizabeth, rather old for a first marriage. (Meaning, he might be hiding with a married daughter in 1841!)

OC

Comment

> where have you got his DOB from?

Have seen his marriage record in 1816 and it [very helpfully] says "age 46 years and upwards widower". Then in another part of the parish record it says that in 1841, the vicar recorded the ages of elderly peeps in the village and there's a 75yo Rodwell. That would match up with a death in TsM in 1846 of an 82yo. Also in the baptism register for at least one of his boys, it says "James Rodwell snr" as father, presumably to discriminate him from a different James Rodwell, who may well be his son from his first marriage. Confusingly, both James-s married Elizabeth-s!

I did go back through the marriage registers from about 1780 towards 1816 for TsM, but couldn't find a marriage there for anyone called Rodwell. I also tried earlier baptisms for Rodwells (much earlier than 1817), but struck out there too.

I simply don't understand why I can't find any of 'em in 1841. Not even James the Younger.

Arghhh!

STG

Comment

hi on freereg james married 1816 elizabeth arwin she is from norfolk james a widower age 46 also looks like there is two more chilldren caroline b 1825 harriot b 1824 and it as james as a publican hope this helps

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't spotted the two girls, but have now followed them up and they both died before they were a year old :(

STG

Comment

there is a William Rodwell born abt 1820 living just down the road from me funny enough in Washway House Holbeach
            H0107 Piece 608 Book 4 Folio 6 Page 5 sorry dont have time to do much just off out , if nobody finds anything will have another go later

Comment

there is another one in Holbeach born abt 1816 no names transcribed but when you look at image it is William Rodwell

H0107 607 10 45 3

Comment

There's a James Rodwell aged 70 (ages rounded in 1841) in Tydd St Giles, Cambridgeshire born out of county. Looking on a map its right next to Tydd St Mary but in a different county

HO107 piece 78, book 15, folio 11, page 17
                Jackie

Comment

Thanks STG, I just LOVE these wordy vicars who gave all that extra info!

So, if the vicar recorded his age in 1841 then James ought to be there in the parish. Daft question but have you trawled right through the census for the parish? Are any pieces missing?

OC
                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-07-14, 17:07. Reason: sp

Comment

Been through all three sections of the 1841 census for TsM. Nothing obvious missing (if you see what I mean).

The only Rodwell I can find is a 30yo Anne, a female servant, not born in County.

Glum face :(
                    STG

Comment

Working...
                    X