Goodwin/Goodey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodwin/Goodey

Help needed please to find parents of James Goodwin born 13 July 1823 Charlton, Berkshire. Possibly his parents may be listed as Goodey. James father is named as John Goodey. Searches done in Berks record office reveal other Goodey families but I can not trace James' ancestors. Possible connection to Benjamin Gooday died 1798 and his wife Ann Giles died 1800(both through illness) leaving at least 6 young orphans aged 10 down to 1. One of these orphans is named John born 1796 and could be the father of my James Goodwin but I have no proof. Can you help?

Did James Goodwin marry - if so to whom, and do you have the marriage certificate?
    What is the source of his date of birth?
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine. James Goodwin married Harriet Bolter(Boulter) 9 April 1849 Wantage. James is listed as Goodey on his marriage certificate and father's name is John Goodey. The birth certificate of George GOODWIN-my great grandfather-1860 shows his parents as James GOODWIN and Harriett formerly BOULTER. I found an entry of death for James Goodwin in 1892 in Wantage aged 69 at death informant Harriett, widow of deceased so working out he must have been born about 1823. At this point I may have made an error thanks to your question. I have a baptism copy of a James Goodey born 13 July 1823 bap 17 Aug 1823 son of Simon and Mary Goodey. A previous researcher told me John Goodey was known as Simon but this I feel is not true, therefore it looks like my James DOB is not 13 July 1823. So given that John Goodey is the father of my James(marriage cert) what is the best way to proceed?

Comment

James is listed as Goodey on his marriage certificate and father's name is John Goodey.
        What does it give as the occupation for John Goodey.
        Do the names of the witnesses help at all - ? family members.
        Elaine

Comment

James Goodwin gives his birth as 1824 Charlton, Berks on 1851 census - he is with Harriot

HO107; Piece: 1689; Folio: 466; Page: 10

Next door is a John Goodwin b 1796 with his grandson George age 10 (b 1841)
          All are born Charlton and are ag labs.

HO107; Piece: 30; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Wantage; County: Berkshire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 5; Page: 5 Parish of Charlton
          John Gooddy b 1796
          Mary b 1791
          Jane b 1833
          George b 1840

on the next page are Benjamin Gooddy b 1816 and Mary b 1821
          All born in county

Further on:
          Village of Charlton
          HO107; Piece: 30; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Wantage; County: Berkshire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 7; Page: 10;

George Godwin b 1826 Ag Lab
          Mary Godwin b 1826 Female servant
          James Gooddy b 1826 Ag Lab
          all three living in different households - all born in county
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-07-14, 22:33.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Name: John Goodwin
            Birth Date: 12 Aug 1797
            Baptism Date: 13 Aug 1797
            Baptism Place: Ardington,Berkshire,England
            Father: John Goodwin
            Mother: Mary
            FHL Film Number: 88173

Ardington is 1.2 miles W of Charlton

Sorry can't find a baptism for James :( .....bed calls
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-07-14, 22:56.
            Kat

Comment

Hi all posties and thanks so far everyone. John Goodey's job is labourer on James marriage certificate. Witnesses are James Aldridge and Jane Goodey who made her X mark. So Jane I take to be James sister.

Comment

Hi all posties and thanks so far everyone. John Goodey's job is ag labourer on James marriage certificate. Witnesses are James Aldridge and Jane Goodey who made her X mark. So Jane I take to be James sister. Jane married James Ledger and went to live in Dorking. I found her on the 1861 census. I need to find the baptism for James Goodwin and having difficulty on that so far-to find out exactly who his parents are. More help please! I have found another John Goodwin at Ewelme Oxfordshire 1861 living with George nephew 20 -can't work all this out yet!
                Last edited by jabez; 07-07-14, 19:32.

Comment

Just like the saying "There's an awful lot of coffee in Brazil", there are an awful lot of Goodwins in Berkshire. Says one who knows from experience (see my footer!).

STG
                  Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

do you have a lot of goodwin info STG

Comment

I go back to a John Goodwin, baptised in 1775 in Harwell, son of William and Sarah. But spellings seem to vary a lot : Goodwin, Goodwyn, Godwin, Godwyn, Godden, Gooden, Goodey etc. so have to look at them all and try to eliminate the ones that aren't quite right. Also, only common given names in my lot, so that's a problem too.

STG

Comment

Do you think there may be a link between your Goodeys and mine? -around the 1700-1850's I mean. I see that Harwell is 3 parishes or so to the right of Wantage so I feel there may well be some connection. I have discovered links with Newnham, Ewelme and Crowmarsh Gifford, all quite close.

Comment

Our daughter's surname is now Godwin and the family came from Hampshire. In earlier records the surname is written as "Godden". As Small Town Girls says, look at all the surname variants.

Our s-i-l gets annoyed when people call him "Goodwin" and not "Godwin".
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:
                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by jabez View Post
                            Do you think there may be a link between your Goodeys and mine? -around the 1700-1850's I mean. I see that Harwell is 3 parishes or so to the right of Wantage so I feel there may well be some connection. I have discovered links with Newnham, Ewelme and Crowmarsh Gifford, all quite close.
                            Could be.

STG

Comment

I have found a census 1861 with John Goodey listing his birthplace as EWELME in Oxfordshire. Has anyone got any GOODWIN/GOODEY links to Ewelme?

Comment

I don't seem to have any Goodwins who were either from, or lived in, Ewelme - well, not that I know of [yet].

STG

Comment

Hi Kat, following on from post 6 last July, where did you get the entry of John Goodwin 1797 from? I can't find this anywhere!

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                    Kat

Comment

Goodwins of Wantage/Charlton

ty Kat, I feel some pieces of this jigsaw are starting to come together!

Comment

Nice when the pieces start falling into place
                                        Kat

Comment

Working...
                                        X