• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Workhouse Parents Dead ?

Back to my Knights again

George William Knight born 1815 Bermondsey
    Wife Mary Knight nee Leonard born 1818 St Martins

I have three of their children all admitted to the Workhouse in 1865 in Bermondsey

William John and his Sister Mary Ann 21 Apr 1865

Brother Charles Owen 21 Jul 1865 (although dont understand why 3 months later)

Says Orphans

I am trying to narrow down when their parents died as I am assuming both had?

The last time I have them is in 1851 in Bermondsey

Cannot find the family in 1861 nor can anybody else so please dont waste your time trying.

Would you say the most likely time of death is the June Quarter of 1865

As you can imagine George and Mary Knight are very common names so none too easy.

Thanks

How old were the children in 1865 Val?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

hyer Chrissie
      Mary Ann 5
      William John 8
      Charles Owen 11

Comment

An orphan is legally someone whose FATHER has died, but not necessarily the mother - children belonged only to their fathers back then.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC I think I have heard that before ? so its likely George was already dead then, shall maybe try for his death first then

Comment

Hi Val. I have tried to tie up a death between the birth of Mary Ann and 1865 but have found nothing that I can tie up - sorry.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Val

There is a Mary Ann Knight's death March 1864 Brentford and a George Knight December 1864 Brentford.

Comment

Thanks for looking Chrissie

Terrianne thanks for looking ,I dont think she ever used a middle name just Mary ? and I was expecting to find the deaths around Bermondsey Newington Southwark etc

I did find a Mary Knight born 1820 died in 1865 in Islington and I am sure I read somewhere about a fever Hospital there so was wondering if that may have been her.

Comment

Working...
                X