Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways of writing a parish name

Hi

I'm just trying to get straight in my mind the different ways of writing parish's names. For instance would Whitechapel St Mary, St Mary Whitechapel and St Mary's Whitechapel all be one and the same place. Would there be a valid reason or circumstance to write the name in one format and not another?

Thanks

Dermot

Probably the most important thing is that you are consistent, which makes it easier for you. If you have the records in a database it is easier to search with the place name first.
    Anne

Comment

UMMMM, real hairsplitting here, but TO ME (and maybe not to anyone else, lol)

St Mary Whitechapel - means "at the church of St Mary, Whitechapel" (which might not necessarily be the parish, or the parish church)

Whitechapel St Mary - means "Whitechapel parish church, St Mary"

Well, I did say it was hairsplitting!

OC

Comment

It's easy to get in a mess with recording places !! Civil and ecclesiastical parishes differ. Chapelries get introduced as parishes grow. Counties are abolished and change boundaries. I agree that being consistent to your own system is the most important thing and personally I follow the convention of smallest first St Mary, Whitechapel, London, England is how I would record it (referring to the church). But is Whitechapel London or Middlesex ? Is it St Clement Danes, Westminster, Middlesex, England ? What about All Souls, Langham Place, St Marylebone, Middlesex, England ?
        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          It's easy to get in a mess with recording places !! Civil and ecclesiastical parishes differ. Chapelries get introduced as parishes grow. Counties are abolished and change boundaries. I agree that being consistent to your own system is the most important thing and personally I follow the convention of smallest first St Mary, Whitechapel, London, England is how I would record it (referring to the church). But is Whitechapel London or Middlesex ? Is it St Clement Danes, Westminster, Middlesex, England ? What about All Souls, Langham Place, St Marylebone, Middlesex, England ?
          Well depending on what era you are referring to then Whitechapel was in Middlesex as London only referred to the City of London and it is not until more recent times that London becomes the 'county' for all the boroughs now within it.
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Well depending on what era you are referring to then Whitechapel was in Middlesex as London only referred to the City of London and it is not until more recent times that London becomes the 'county' for all the boroughs now within it.
            Margaret
            That's exactly my point Margaret and I was really inviting OC to split some more hairs My three examples are all debatable, depending on the era, what I'm referring to and what my convention is. St Mary could be church or parish, Whitechapel could be parish or district and London could be city or county.
            Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              That's exactly my point Margaret and I was really inviting OC to split some more hairs My three examples are all debatable, depending on the era, what I'm referring to and what my convention is. St Mary could be church or parish, Whitechapel could be parish or district and London could be city or county.
              Oh right! my brain wasn't in gear
              Margaret

Comment

Working...
              X