The Rosanna Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rosanna Mystery

I don't suppose anyone can help me find out what happened to Rosanna Lennon when she moved to America in 1882 can they?

All I really have is her baptism on 22nd Jan 1864 in Stevenson, Ayrshire, Scotland and her New York Passengers List where she arrives in America on 11th May 1882.

Thanks everyone
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

How about this one from the 1900 census;

Rosanna Moore William J Philadelphia Ward 36, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Jan 1864 Scotland Wife
    UPDATE: no, that's not her. Just found the Pennsylvania death certificate. She was Rosanna Spratt born 3 June 1864, father David and mother Martha Porter.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-07-14, 13:30.

Comment

I have her in the Castle Garden Immigration site but sadly there are no clues of her future intentions; n.b. her place of birth is given as Ireland, not Scotland. The table won't replicate here so here's the link Rosanna Lennon
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-07-14, 14:14.

Comment

Originally I did have the first 2 children as Ireland until I found this on Family Search: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYP6-Z8B The Surname did start off as Lennan in Ireland until they moved to Scotland and it became Lennon.

Thank you for searching GallowayLass. It does make it more difficult when there's no specific location.

Comment

The 1882 Passenger list doesn't have another Lennon listed on either side of her on the list. There are James & Brid Nolan, & Jno Mcloughlin. Do you know if she traveled with anyone? Meeting anyone on the other side? I tend to think it's weird (i.e., unlikely?) when a very young woman travels distances by herself &/or has no one to meet up with on the other side.

How do you know it's her? There are other Rosanna Lennons traveling in similar time period, tho estimated YOB doesn't match yours.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-07-14, 00:48.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            The 1882 Passenger list doesn't have another Lennon listed on either side of her on the list. There are James & Brid Nolan, & Jno Mcloughlin. Do you know if she traveled with anyone? Meeting anyone on the other side? I tend to think it's weird (i.e., unlikely?) when a very young woman travels distances by herself &/or has no one to meet up with on the other side.

How do you know it's her? There are other Rosanna Lennons traveling in similar time period, tho estimated YOB doesn't match yours.
            Birth January 1864
            Arrived NY May 1882 aged 18

Not proof of course but the age looks right to me .
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I got a hint after asking about this, it was a 1901 Census and the granddaughter on it moved to Philadelphia with her Dad, the only problem is that A) it's later than Rosanna and B) it's Rosanna's sister-in-law's brother and daughter who funnily enough was named Rose who's Mother may have been named Anne.

Comment

Hello

I took a look at this and thought I saw on the 1882 passenger list another girl travelling with Rosanna, someone called Ann Lennon aged 20. I will look again. Couldn't make out their occupations but didn't seem to be servants like lots of the other young women.

If I am looking at the correct family in Scotland, it appears that at least Rosanna b 1864 is not with them from 1871 onwards. Is that correct?

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 06-07-14, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  Hello

I took a look at this and thought I saw on the 1882 passenger list another girl travelling with Rosanna, someone called Ann Lennon aged 20. I will look again. Couldn't make out their occupations but didn't seem to be servants like lots of the other young women.

If I am looking at the correct family in Scotland, it appears that at least Rosanna b 1864 is not with them from 1871 onwards. Is that correct?

Vera
                  You are correct Vera, Rosanna isn't with the family passed the 1871 Census that I can see and I haven't found a death either.

Comment

I've searched and searched but come up with nothing. There is no obvious death post 1864 or marriage. Can't see her with her extended family - the Pray's or the Lennons/Farrell.

Wondered if she had been institutionalised for some reason but such establishments were apparently non existent pre 1879.

Do you know that she definitely went to the USA or just another avenue to search? Seems strange that she would leave what appears to be a caring family who looked after the children of other members.

Vera

Comment

I didn't see her with the parents in 1871, if I'm looking at the correct family.

Who was the Rosanna Lennan who died in Scotland in 1865? - I don't have any credits, so can't follow this through. When I added mmn name Pray, it didn't show as a hit, but there could a transcription error/mistake or omission on the original.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

All I can offer is this quote from Granddad Lennon's cousin: "If the child's parents died or couldn't look after the child and the Aunts/Uncle's took the child in then the child would then be classed as that Aunt/Uncle's child. If Dad couldn't afford to pay for my care anymore but Uncle G or M could then I would then be classed as their child, the same as if he passed on."

It does seem to be a common thing with my Granddad's generation but maybe it happened before then? It's the only thing that I can think of at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          I didn't see her with the parents in 1871, if I'm looking at the correct family.

Who was the Rosanna Lennan who died in Scotland in 1865? - I don't have any credits, so can't follow this through. When I added mmn name Pray, it didn't show as a hit, but there could a transcription error/mistake or omission on the original.

Jay
                          I see that there is a death but again I can't click it either, I've also done the Pray/ O'Pray trick as that name has changed on a record but it's not working. However when I added the Ayrshire location the name disappeared, there's also no Edward father when you do the advanced search.

Comment

Edward and Cecilia were around for quite a while. If I recall correctly Cecilia is with her eldest sons up to 1901. Not sure about Edward. The parents were alive when Rosanna 'disappeared'. They were all in work and so not likely to be an impoverished family where a child would be sent to a workhouse. Rosanna was the first born.

What I could see the Pray sisters gave a home to their brothers, Mrs Lennon (Farrell) cared for her granddaughter Elizabeth at one stage and her daughter Mary Ann also had a brother with her when her mother re-married. Seems like quite a caring family to me.

I will re-check that 1865 death as I have some credits.

Vera

Comment

Well blow me, how did I miss that one. Well done Janet

Edit I forgot my manners. Sad to see another child dying of comparatively (nowadays) minor illnesses

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 07-07-14, 18:58.

Comment

Vera I'm afraid that I cannot open that link as I have no credits on Scotlands People at the moment but thank you immensely for helping to solve the mystery, Cecilia died in 1914 of Senile Decay and Edward died in 1885.

Also thank you to Janet for providing that missing connection.

Comment

Hello

I realised afterwards that it was not showing. I can put up the details on here or send you a copy of the dc by e mail.

Vera

Comment

One PM one it's way

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                      Hello

I realised afterwards that it was not showing. I can put up the details on here or send you a copy of the dc by e mail.

Vera
                                      I assume then that, sadly, it was the death registration for the daughter of Edward & Cecelia? (Always potentially a bad sign when you can't see a child in the parental home for what should be their first census appearance. :( )

Jay
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-07-14, 18:14.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                      X