Parish maps available on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish maps available on Ancestry

I think this is new (got an email today). They now have county maps of parishes on ancestry and I'm impressed with the quality. I realise parish boundaries are available in lots of places but its handy to have them here with good sharp images.
    Anne

Oh they sound handy Anne, must have a look. Thank you for pointing it out
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh this is good. If you look up a civil registration (BMD) you can see a list of the parishes which registered in that district.

Like this
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Anne

Comment

Oh that's even better
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

These are good, many thanks

Comment

This one from familysearch has been available for a while. It's strange, but useful

Comment

Both those maps are useful and makes one realize just how many parishes there were in the bad old days of horse and buggy. Also of course, one who is

not familiar with the area can get rather lost when researching forebears.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Just to make it clear, Grumpy, in England the parish map may have changed in detail of boundaries but most of those you see on the maps are still there. Even more confusing for people from elsewhere ..... there are church parishes (overseen by the local Parochial Church Council) and civil parishes, often with quite similar boundaries, which are the smallest local government areas and overseen by the Parish Council (not the same as the PCC.
                Confused now?? Most of us are too!
                Anne

Comment

Working...
                X