Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one descended from a male Howlett/e who committed bigamy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one descended from a male Howlett/e who committed bigamy?

I'm looking for any other information on behalf of my Howlette cousins who's grandfather commited bigamy.

His full name was Charles James Richard Howlette born 1898 in South Africa as his father Charles Howlette (formerly Howlett on his death certificate) was in the Army.

I've only recently discovered his full name from the marriage certificate of his daughter known as 'Joan' in 1945 in Palestine. It also states that Charles was in the Army. He did enlist as a 14 year old but I can't find any further Army information on him.

'Joan' Jessie Catherine Elizabeth Howlette was the eldest born in Paddington London 1921 and she had 2 brothers. Robert Charles James Howlette 1923 Paddington, (my mum's sister married Bob) Charles James R Howlette 1925 Padddington and a younger sister Betty born 1927 Paddington.

Charles left the family home for good leaving his wife and 4 children when Betty, the youngest was about 3 or 4.

I'm also in contact with the daughters of 'Joan' and Betty and they all tell the same story as do my cousins.

However one of my cousins informed me that her Nan told her that she had a letter from her husband Charles asking for a divorce, but they were never divorced and when Charles died (not an old man) she received a widows pension as she was still officially married to Charles.

At some point Charles James Richard Howlette then married again and was sent down for his act of bigamy (his 1st wife attended the court) but no living family members know when all this happened or when and where he died. My cousins' Nan also discovered that he had a son with his illegal wife, presumably while attending the court.

I've searched high and low for a possible Death Registration for him but can't pin one down..mabye he changed his name?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 03-07-14, 17:19. Reason: re-added names
    teresa

I would look at obtaining his army service records from the MoD - details of which can be found here

There is a newspaper entry (in the Gloucester Echo, available on FMP) about the jailing for bigamy of a Charles James Howlett at Worcester Assizes in January 1943, he got 3 years - he is described as 43, a clerk, of Diglis Lane, Cherry Orchard , Worcester and that he pleaded guilty (to his 3rd bigamy) .... might be him ?
    Last edited by AntonyM; 03-07-14, 12:38.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Can I ask Teresa whether any of the people that you have named in full are/or could still be alive please. If so I need to remove their names as we don't allow living people to be named (as per out T&C's).

Have now removed Teresa but if any of them are now deceased we can re post them for you.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-07-14, 15:44.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

All named persons are deceased.
        teresa

Comment

Thanks for you reply Antony.

I hope that's not him pleading guilty to his third bigamy as well!

Bad enough that he messed up his wife and childrens lives let alone his other '2nd' wife and child.
          teresa

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
            All named persons are deceased.
            Thanks Teresa. Chrissie is offline at the moment so I have edited the first post again and replaced the names.
            Elaine

Comment

It beggars belief that the newspaper report Antony has found is NOT your man. Two men, right age, same slightly unusual name?

I am quite puzzled about a few things here. He married as C J Howlett (not CJR Howlette). How would Joan know that her father's full name was Charles James RICHARD? He has two sons named Charles James Robert and Robert Charles James - where's Richard?!

The reason I am asking is because there is a death of a Charles James W Howlett aged 63 in 1961 - age is bang on for your Charles. Have you investigated that death? There are several marriages for Charles J W Howlett(e).

OC

Comment

There's also a newspaper report from Jan 1923 in the Gloucester Citizen, Charles James Howlett was arrested in Stroud, and remanded in custody to be handed over to the Metropolitan Police who wanted him for alleged wife desertion.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi OC

Yes it could well be my cousins' grandfather who Antony found in the Newspaper report. I've not ruled that out.

I can only assume that 'Joan' had a copy of her birth certificate and his full name was on there. She waa aged 24 and in the WAAF in Palestine whe she married and I'm sure she would have had to produce a copy of her birth certificate on joining.

I've ordered a copy of her birth certificate to see if her father's full name is entered and to see what his occupation was.

His 2 sons were
                  Robert Charles James Howlette and

Charles James R. Howlette. I don't know what the 'R' stands for as I haven't found a living relative to confirm it. My cousins and their Howlette cousins only knew him as uncle Charlie!
                  Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 03-07-14, 19:48.
                  teresa

Comment

Wow,

Thanks for that Judith. I will add that to my list too!
                    teresa

Comment

Not sure she would have needed to produce a BC to join the WAAF but it won't hurt to see what the BC says.

There's a Charles JR born in 1922 mmn Hicks and siblings RICHARD S J. The marriage is between Charles S Howlett and Irene Hicks. Maybe a red herring but the names are interesting.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Not sure she would have needed to produce a BC to join the WAAF but it won't hurt to see what the BC says.

There's a Charles JR born in 1922 mmn Hicks and siblings RICHARD S J. The marriage is between Charles S Howlett and Irene Hicks. Maybe a red herring but the names are interesting.

OC
                        Yes I thought it would be a good idea to get Jessie's birth cerificate.

There are also a lot of Charles Howlett/e marriages that could be him too! I've also looked at other public trees on Ancestry and 3 or 4 have the same family in their trees but no long subscribe to Ancestry.

I have found his siblings though from his father Charles Howlette's Army Records!

Ivy Vincent Howlette born 18 Oct 1896 in South Africa
                        Francis Hubert Howlette Born 21 Sep 1897 in Cape Town, South Africa
                        William Henry Howlette Born 18 Aug 1903 in Cork, Cork, Ireland
                        Mavis Winifred Howlette 19 Aug 1905

India, Select Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947 about Mavis Winifred Howlette
                        Name: Mavis Winifred Howlette
                        Birth Date: 19 Aug 1905
                        Baptism Date: 9 Sep 1905
                        Baptism Age: 0
                        Baptism Place: Murree, Bengal, India
                        Father: Charles Howlette
                        Mother: Nellie Elizabeth
                        FHL Film Number: 527529

Kirkpatrick Richard Robert Howlette born 11 November 1907 Barrack Street Mallow, Co. Cork.
                        teresa

Comment

Well.. Jessie's birth certificate only has her father's name as Charles James Howlette and he's a Barman!

But Jessie's daughter has a copy of her Nan's death certificate and it states she was the widow of Charles James Richard Howlette. So her Nan must have know that information.
                          teresa

Comment

The information on a death cert is only as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death, who may have THOUGHT his name was Charles James RICHARD. It's hair-splitting really, but it does illustrate that his names were a bit fluid.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              The information on a death cert is only as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death, who may have THOUGHT his name was Charles James RICHARD. It's hair-splitting really, but it does illustrate that his names were a bit fluid.

OC
                              True OC. But maybe she did get a copy of his death certificate herself as my cousins and their Howlette cousins all say that he died from TB. I can only guess that the death certificate was destroyed at some point because of all the turmoil he caused for his wife and children.
                              teresa

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                                Well.. Jessie's birth certificate only has her father's name as Charles James Howlette and he's a Barman!

But Jessie's daughter has a copy of her Nan's death certificate and it states she was the widow of Charles James Richard Howlette. So her Nan must have know that information.
                                But if this was her Nan's death certificate Nan was already dead and so not able to provide the information about her late husband's name. The informant therefore gave the information second if not third hand. Even if they obtained the name from the late husband's death certificate that also could have been surmise on the part of the person registering his death. As OC said, the information is only as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  But if this was her Nan's death certificate Nan was already dead and so not able to provide the information about her late husband's name. The informant therefore gave the information second if not third hand. Even if they obtained the name from the late husband's death certificate that also could have been surmise on the part of the person registering his death. As OC said, the information is only as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death.

Yes I do realise that.
                                  teresa

Comment

I've found his birth registration in South Africa in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices so I will order that and see what his Full name is.
                                    teresa

Comment

Oh that's great Teresa
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Charles James Howlette's birth certificate arrived this morning...no mention of 'Richard' being his 3rd Christian name!!
                                        teresa

Comment

Working...
                                        X