Information I had... lost and now can't find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information I had... lost and now can't find

As the title says I found a snippet of perhaps relevant information but now can't find and haven't a clue where I found it.

I was checking records for the Royal Flying Corps, where I found a service number which I believe was Grandfathers... except it wasn't his name.

Now, I know he was underage when he joined up and my family has a history of alias', so I do not want to reject it out of hand.

For the life of me I cannot remember how I searched for it.

As I say it was for the Royal Flying Corps and the service number is SF10, when my Grandfather changed his name later in life he incorporated this in his new surname.

I have taken up the £1 FMP offer, and I think I found it on there last time but as I say now I can't find it.

Please can anyone help either with the name or what I need to put in the search engine as it is not recognising what I am putting in at the moment.

Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Have you got the name that you found, I am having no luck with that number. :(
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No Caroline that what I am looking for.

I now remember I found it when looking at a list of the RFC.

PS thanks
      Last edited by bubblebelle; 03-07-14, 08:56.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
        No Caroline that what I am looking for.

I now remember I found it when looking at a list of the RFC.

PS thanks
        I can't see the number or one anything like it, they are all 5 or 6 digits.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's what I am getting too, maybe my heads playing tricks, but I am sure I found it. Will try google. I will get back if and when I find it.. just to prove I haven't lost the plot completely.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just found this on national archive, so maybe I should be looking at RNAS

RNAS service numbers were prefixed with the letter 'F'. When they transferred into the RAF, the 'F' prefix was removed, the number 2 added and, if the service number contained less than six digits, noughts were added to bring its total number of digits to six. For example, F 1002 became 201002 or F 54559 became 254559.
            RAF service numbers between 313001 and 316000 indicate that the airmen served with the Royal Navy before the RNAS was formed in July 1914 and that they transferred from the Royal Navy to the RNAS.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
              Just found this on national archive, so maybe I should be looking at RNAS

RNAS service numbers were prefixed with the letter 'F'. When they transferred into the RAF, the 'F' prefix was removed, the number 2 added and, if the service number contained less than six digits, noughts were added to bring its total number of digits to six. For example, F 1002 became 201002 or F 54559 became 254559.
              RAF service numbers between 313001 and 316000 indicate that the airmen served with the Royal Navy before the RNAS was formed in July 1914 and that they transferred from the Royal Navy to the RNAS.
              My brain hurts ... time take the dog out!!
              Caroline

Comment

Mine too, was at this all last night.. maybe I need to go away and try again later too.
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

In those early days I think the Royal Flying Corps became the Army Flying Corps before becoming the RAF. Maybe the record is in the Army Records?

Comment

Thanks Alan, will take a look, but up to now I still can't find the source to the information I found before.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Could you have found anything in the London Gazette?

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think so Christine. All I recall is stumbling across a list and lo and behold was the number and a name I did not recognise. I have been searching yesterday and today (on and off). Looking at all the sites I think it may have been the Forces War records... now I have to work out how to get to the information without the surname.

Thanks everybody.
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just thought I'd let you know I found it.... now to check through all the information (which I have saved!!) to see if it is an alias. Although the age does worry me.
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

I'm so glad you've found the info - it's so frustrating to have partial info, that isn't enough, and not be able to go back to track down the remainder.

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-07-14, 21:54.
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X